Data Logging

CENTER

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was looking for some help on a project I am working on. I have used the archives and they have been a big help but I can’t find anything on this subject. With factorytalk and a micrologix 1500 I set up controls for a extrusion line with about 50 recipes. Now what I am looking to do is log the footage run on each of the recipes. And was wondering if someone could help me out with a starting point. Thank you in advance for your time

I'm not really familiar with your terminology and what is your "footage run" log consist of. Could you tell us in lemon terms how many registers/words or data you need to log. What kind of HMI you have? PC based or dummy PanelView? Factory talk SE or ME?

By footage run I mean the accumulated footage for each recipe. I am using a AB PV 1500 Plus touch screen. The only data I need to log is the footage ran.

Last edited:
Not yet , but I have line speed in FPM and don’t know if I need 40 different counters with 40 displays or can I enter the number in the recipe file some ware or what and I they add more recipes what happens?

Guessiong here.

Your not counting the actual feet of meterial being created you want to calculate it based on the FPM value and time the extruder is running. You FPM changes depending on which recipe you run.

IF this is correct then you could do it 2 ways. Create a lookup table that pulls the FPM factor from it based on the recipe run or you can just add another field to your recipe that contains that value and just dump it into your calculation whenever you run the recipe.

Note: calculated footage never adds up to actual on an extruder. Best method is a measuring device. So if this is for iventory your in for some real long nights.

Please Make it simple. I have a pulse input that is used for FPM 1.6K per 1000' or 1.6 per so a counter is simple. But my boss want see the total accumulated for each product.

Last edited:
OK. Now you more or less specific. So all you need is to program totalizer. Here are steps you need to program in your PLC:
1. Program 1 sec. timer. If you need higher resolution/more accuracy, time may be shorter.
2. Every second take a snapshot of your pulse input (scaled). Simulteniosly add this value to holding register.
3. The value accumulated in that holding register would be your total footage.
5.Program numeric display on HMI to display holding register value (Total)
4. Program a reset button on HMI to zero the holding register.

Thank you for the help on monday I will give it a shot and see if I can get it to run. but I still do not understand how with out 40 different counters (one for each recipe) It would work. I under stand how to count the footage and then what ever recipe is running I can add a count to a counter for each and desplay that but that is a lot of logic, I was thinking that in the panalview there was a way of doing this and when they add or delete a recipe it would add or delete a counter and all I would have to do is add to that count.

if only one recipe is being used at a given time then you can use the same counter use indirect addressing to gather the old totals then indirect addressing to store them into the 40 seperate memory locations

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=51640&highlight=ron+Beaufort

this is a different application but in it Ron uses indirect iadressing to calculate the least significant running hours as well as pumps in service this method of indirect addressing considerably shortens the number of rungs needed to handle a large amount of repeat or similar operations. The counter can load an indirect address source and destination. So use your recipe number as the offset

if you need help on it on Monday when I get to work I will be able to work up a closer example most of my info is at my work data base lol

Forgot I have off monday. Ok I took a look at the program and from what I see all you are doing is adding to a integer file. So all I would need is 40 files, and just use a mov to reset to 0 so I don't end up with a fault? Looks to easy.