RMP Instruction

Zephyr

I've been reading a lot about the RMP instruction here, but haven't seen the kind of response I need to continue with my project. Here are the details;

Bottling plant...
I need to make the Cleaner-Filler-Capper (C-F-C) machine follow a labeling machine downstream from it, however, I need to create a backlog at the labeler first (on the conveyors between the two machines) then keep that backlog at a consistent place.

Both machines use SLC 5/04

Labeler uses a PowerFlex70

Conveyors will have several preset speeds determined by what speed the labeler is at, this will not be a problem.

Cleaner(SEW MOVIDRIVE) Filler(SEW MOVIDRIVE) Capper(SEW MOVIDRIVE) All three are currently in synch as one machine, the C-F-C

I was thinking of installing an I/O card on the Labeler chasis, then connecting the labeler powerflex70 to it's SLC and to the C-F-C SLC to create a speed loop (4-20mA)

Additionally, I wanted to use an RMP to orchestrate the show, but right now I'm comparing integers and adding or subtracting as needed. I need some more understanding of how the RMP works. I will have the 8 extra available words in the program.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you knew our engineer......anyhow, there's only 2(including myself) electricians for the entire bottling process of the plant. We're electricians, pumbers, welders, mechanics, programmers and egineers(sorta) all rolled into one money saving, do-it-all package and I don't have the authority or budget control to hire anyone. I'm it, but thanks for the idea.

Last edited:
What are you thinking the RMP instruction is going to do for you, outside of adding some additional delay?

The RMP instruction can't "orchestrate" anything. All it will do is impose a maximum rate of change on whata\ever is pumped into it.

Keith

What are you thinking the RMP instruction is going to do for you, outside of adding some additional delay?

The RMP instruction can't "orchestrate" anything. All it will do is impose a maximum rate of change on whata\ever is pumped into it.

Keith

So, it doesn't have user-defined presets?o_O I guess I misunderstood what the RMP was used for, then. The VFD already has all the S-Curve adjustability I need.

Have a look at the movidrive abilities. They can be programmed and can output 4-20mA as a speed reference for the PF70.
Regards Alan Case

The MOVIDRIVES are incredibly over-rated for their application. All they do is keep each of their motors in synch with each other - via encoder. I want to them to recieve a signal from the PF70 and follow it. I have an idea of creating a speed loop, but thought I'd tickle the smart people's minds first. Thanks.

Ok, you want to go the other way. Get the PF70 to output a speed required reference out its analog output. Feed it into one of the Sews and the job is done.

Regards Alan

Simply from here to there.....I suppose it could be that simple, but I need to acquire a backlog before the SEW begins to follow. That's an easy one in a PLC, but I don't think we're talking about a third party. I think I need to send a signal from the slick on the labeler to the PF70, then from the PF70 to the CFC slick (so that I can use backlog as a condition before following the PF70) However....no backlog=speed 1, backlog=follow? I'm new to projects, been mostly a troubleshooter and could use some sound advice. Thanks, everyone, for your input.