Factory Talk Activation and Remote Desktop

JHarbin

I saw that there was a thread about this but it didn't exactly answer my question.

I am running RSLogix5000 on my laptop and I want to access it via Remote Desktop from my Desktop PC.

If I start RSLogix5000 on the laptop and then connect, all is well. If I connect and then start RSLogix5000, I get the Activation Grace Period message.

I saw something on Rockwell's site about this, but I was hoping there was a work around.

Any ideas?

Option?

You might want to try a VNC instead. I use RealVNC to remote in to a PC on the production floor from my desktop. I also had problems with remote desktop.

Just a thought....

:confused:

You might want to try a VNC instead. I use RealVNC to remote in to a PC on the production floor from my desktop. I also had problems with remote desktop.

Just a thought....

:confused:

I use Remote Desktop all the time. I connect to several customers sites that way using several different software packages - just not A-B. I understand them wanting to protect their intellectual property, I just don't like the way they have chosen to do it.

IIRC, you can use some of the other remote access programs (like LogMeIn) and avoid that problem, but with remote desktop, the license software looks for the key on the machine running the session rather than the one it is logged into. I don't know if there is a workaround yet that allows the use of windows remote desktop. I do the same thing you do...leave the software running and minimized when I leave work, so I can remote in to my desktop and not have to fight that issue.

My partner here uses LogMeIn (that he personally purchased) and says it works much better and doesn't give him license hassles.

IIRC, you can use some of the other remote access programs (like LogMeIn) and avoid that problem, but with remote desktop, the license software looks for the key on the machine running the session rather than the one it is logged into. I don't know if there is a workaround yet that allows the use of windows remote desktop. I do the same thing you do...leave the software running and minimized when I leave work, so I can remote in to my desktop and not have to fight that issue.

My partner here uses LogMeIn (that he personally purchased) and says it works much better and doesn't give him license hassles.

I may have to do something like that, but when I consider that RDP works *perfectly* in *all* my other applications, I'm not sure what "works much better" would look like.

Rockwell has a technote with some info that might be helpful if you have TechConnect access.
I searched for "remote desktop" and answer ID 33700 was the first one that came up. It confirms the previous posts, and explains how to get around it if you are using concurrent activations.

Rockwell has a technote with some info that might be helpful if you have TechConnect access.
I searched for "remote desktop" and answer ID 33700 was the first one that came up. It confirms the previous posts, and explains how to get around it if you are using concurrent activations.

Yes, I saw that and it says "FactoryTalk Activation Node-Locked Activations cannot be used in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services session, whether those node-locked activations are installed on the local or remote computer."

I was just hoping that was a joke - not really, I was just hoping that there was a work-around. Hence my original post.

Yeah, if you were willing to use concurrent activations, you could gain that advantage. We started using concurrent activations for several reasons here and it was quite easy to get Rockwell to exchange our node locked licenses for concurrent ones with a phone call and a short wait. If that's too much hassle, then LogMeIn and/or VNC might be your best bet. My buddy, Mike, who uses LogMeIn says that it operates faster than windows remote desktop and has fewer issues with the screen refreshing properly, but that's just one second hand anecdotal case...

Yeah, if you were willing to use concurrent activations, you could gain that advantage. We started using concurrent activations for several reasons here and it was quite easy to get Rockwell to exchange our node locked licenses for concurrent ones with a phone call and a short wait. If that's too much hassle, then LogMeIn and/or VNC might be your best bet. My buddy, Mike, who uses LogMeIn says that it operates faster than windows remote desktop and has fewer issues with the screen refreshing properly, but that's just one second hand anecdotal case...

I'll keep that in mind - thankfully I don't have to mess with Rockwell software that often. I prefer our company standard Honeywell HC900.

Yea, I've heard how bad RDP is, but I build HMIs both Redlion and Iconics using it and I've never had any screen refresh problems.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I am interested in your experience in converting your license. I have contacted activations on two different occasions and they have directed me to my local rep both times. My local rep tells me that the cost to convert is over $1200.00.

Did you do some kind of Jedi mind trick on them?