!769 Compactlogix

Rockivy

Working on a project with a L35E and a smattering of standard IO (IF8, OF8, IQ32, OB16) pretty standard stuff, now this project will be adding additional IO in a second cabinet right beside this one and we would like to use the same IO as noted for simplicity. The original IO is by a third party and we are adding the additional IO.

My question is can we use the Ethernet port on the L35E to go to a switch then ethernet to Remote IO (1769 type) or can we only use the 1769-CRL* cable to add additional racks (From reading the AB literature these look to be limited to 3.28feet which isn't quite far enough for our application we need about 5 to 6 feet to get to our Remote IO rack(and no we can't move the IO the orginal cabinet is full)

Can CRL cables be longer than 3.28feet?
Can 1769 IO be attache via ethernet

Can I use a 1794-AENT with Flex (shudder) IO

Will this cause me grief in the programming later on?

What are my other options

Thanks

Last edited:
I've never tried to do a rack extension out that far. I don't know if it will work or not.

But I do know that a 1794-AENT to an L35E is very easy to do. If I had to do htis that is the way I would go.

Keith

Don't worry. Ethernet IP is pretty easy, especially when using AB components across the distances you are talking about. You just add components in tree format under the Ethernet port, similar to what you do for standard I/O.

Keith

Thanks my main question is the wiring of the modules specifically the analog in and out from the AB notes looks like I wired powered TX to the A0 and A1 of the TB3 of an IF4I(Chan 0) and also wire field (separate power supply) powered TX to the same terminals ie for Chan 1 A4 and A5 and looks like this is identical for the OF4I

One thing to keep in mind with remote I/O over ethernet is the other devices that are on the ethernet network. If there are HMIs, other PLCs, or non-automation devices (PC's, printers, etc.) this could increase the traffic and cause potential problems with the I/O connection.

One thing to keep in mind with remote I/O over ethernet is the other devices that are on the ethernet network. If there are HMIs, other PLCs, or non-automation devices (PC's, printers, etc.) this could increase the traffic and cause potential problems with the I/O connection.

I don't have a ton of experience with Flex IO but it is similiar to S200 from ABB and that was somewhat challenging setting up the Control words to get the modules to act the way you want.

I don't think that there is a huge traffic issue only have 7 1794 modules to an AENT and then the Main L35E PLC has 8 modules and there is a single panelview HMI. mostly digital modules too!

I'm still in the how the heck do you wire these things phase, so the networking I'll worry more about later

Thanks

OK so now I have the Configuration started is there anything I need to do for the Control Words / Input Words from the 1794 to the L32E network

(Quick reminder have a 1769-L32E with Ethernet to a 1794-AENT to Flexbus to my modules, standard stuff IF4I, OF4I, IB32 and a OB16)

Or is it just a simple matter of adding the IO to the Flex bus and then addressing the REMOTE IO like the LOCAL IO

Thanks in advance for the help

I don't have a ton of experience with Flex IO but it is similiar to S200 from ABB and that was somewhat challenging setting up the Control words to get the modules to act the way you want.

I don't think that there is a huge traffic issue only have 7 1794 modules to an AENT and then the Main L35E PLC has 8 modules and there is a single panelview HMI. mostly digital modules too!

I'm still in the how the heck do you wire these things phase, so the networking I'll worry more about later

Thanks

When you mentioned ABB S200 are you talking about something other than the breaker? I wonder why ABB would name two different products with the same name. It could be a mistake by ABB.

http://www.clrwtr.com/ABB-S200-Series-MCB.html

When you mentioned ABB S200 are you talking about something other than the breaker? I wonder why ABB would name two different products with the same name. It could be a mistake by ABB.

http://www.clrwtr.com/ABB-S200-Series-MCB.html

Well Actually they did. This was the first "hot swappable" I/O system I worked on. Very Very nice equipment. The couplers on that system were Fiber. It was installed in 03/04 way ahead of its time in my opinion.

http://www.abb.com/product/seitp334/3b61bb51126174fec12571e0003b4bd6.aspx