WinCC flexible automatic button focus?

ELake20

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've created an alarm list, and when new alarms come in they blink until they are acknowledged and removed when operator resets. At the top of the alarm list the first cell is brought to focus so the coloring looks wierd. Also can't see it flashing so it appears to be acknowledged. Siemens support has no cure, I was wondering if there is a VB script I could write to disable the object focus? See below for screenshots, I also show what I'm using for colors. I've tinkered with that and can't really dedicate red because I also bring in Warnings which are solid yellow / flashing yellow.
Invisible isn't an option for button focus :cry:

Blink OFF state
Capture1.jpg

Blink ON state, notice how the 1st alarm acts like it has been selected, focus is on that object. Very annoying.
Capture2.jpg

Color settings
Capture3.jpg

Use another color than blue for "acknowledged".
Open Alarm Management .. Settings .. Alarm Classes.
There you can set the colors for the states Activated, Activated/Deactivated, Activated/acknowledged, Activated/deactivated/acknowledged.

Blue is the background on the main screen. The screenshots I took were with it configured a little darker becuase I'm testing and didn't want to input the specific RGB settings.

Heres another screen shot that shows my alarm colorings, I haven't changed any.

Capture6.jpg

I also attempted to remove focus from the alarm view by changing the tab order. That did not fix the issue either.

I see what you mean now.
It is because you use flashing to indicate Active and not Acknowledged. The flashing color comes from the Background Color of the Alarm View.
This flashing setting is found if you select the Alarm Class (i.e. RTAlarms), and then expand Properties and State.

Well, I dont use flashing alarms. This because it is really annoying to look at. The red color should be enough to inform that an alarm is active.
At least you can remove the flashing for the alarms. Then there will still be one alarm that is selected and possibly not acknowledged. I think the operator confusion comes from too many colors plus flashing.

I recommend that you make an alarm view that only display the active alarms (acknowledged or not) and without flashing. The alarm view automatically sort the alarms so that the unacknowledged are at the top. So the operator will know that the top alarms are not acknowledged even if the selection color means that the red color is hidden.

Unfortunately it is a customer specification, they are set in their ways and have their own alarm handling standards I'm adhering to.

My existing solution works fine and has passed their acceptance test, its just this one little bug thats driving me nuts!

Thanks for your help :)

If they insist that the selected alarm is a problem, then make an alarm view that displays only the active unacknowledged alarms.
When there are no unacknowledged alarms, the view will be empty.
Any alarms in the view are by definition active and unacknowledged.
You can even make the selection color red (a darker red maybe), even if that is a non-windows standard.