SLC 5/05 again?

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I got some analog modules after we found out we couldn't get the 1400 we ordered, but I'm not sure if they were from the factory, or had been on the shelf for a while. Just FYI, this morning they proposed to send us a SLC 5/05 with appropriate I/O modules for the same price as the 1400 and I/O modules we wanted.
Hello all,
This post made me think about using SLC 5/05 due to the Micrologix shortage, and I decided to open a new thread. During my short experience with PLCs I haven't used the SLC 5/05, or any other than Micrologix and CompactLogix.
Do you think it could be a good option to try the SLC 5/05? Aren't they going to be discontinued in a few years?
Wouldn't I be going in the opposite direction if I learn how to use them?
Aren't they more expensive than the CompactLogix today?

I will appreciate your comments!

It never hurts to learn a new piece of hardware or software. They're trying like heck to phase the SLC out with higher prices but the darn things are so durable, reliable and easy to use that I don't see that happening as fast as AB thought it would happen.
If you have used the Compact Logix, then continue to use that until the shortage situation is over. That way you don't have to purchace new hardware or software or go through another learning curve.

If you have experience with MicroLogix then the SLC 5/05, or any SLC-500 for that matter, should not pose much of a learning curve. They both program with RSLogix 500, probably the only major difference is some additional instructions that aren't available in the MicroLogix family of controllers. Some special instructions (PID, MSG, etc..) are handled a little differently as well.

I agree with godfrey in the assumption that the SLC's will be around for a while. AB does seem to be trying to phase them out, with the competitive pricing of the CompactLogix, but the SLC's are very reliable and will be around for a while.

Another good substitution during this MicroLogix shortage is the new CompactLogix L23 packaged controller. Similar to the MicroLogix in that it is a packaged unit, with a little bit of I/O expansion capability.

Talk to your AB distributor as they might be able drop the price of the L23 during this shortage.

SLC / PLC Longevity

Our AB rep sent a letter out a couple of years ago saying that the SLC and PLC platforms will be around for a while - they followed it up last month confirming no change in policy

We use a mix of SLC, PLC and Micros - going to CompactLogix will need another software package, which is a pain for technician laptops. Micro 1500's use the same I/O as Compacts, but we've found them not to be the best when you have to replace a faulty card, which makes the SLC much more attractive

so it's mostly a personal (or maybe company) choice. Also if you want to look at total Ethernet connectivity (SCADA for example) then not too much diversity will help with drivers, but that's a minor point nowadays. Micro 1100, 1400, and 5/05 have Ethernet, the rest will work quite well with an Net-ENI, but maybe slightly slower
🍻

Last edited: