MSG from CLX to CPX vie ENI

wevie0037@

Greetings,

I am trying to write a DINT value from a ControlLogix processor to a CompactLogix processor. The CLX has an ENBT connected to the plant Ethernet. The CPX is connect via DF1 to an ENI which is then connected to the plant Ethernet.

In the MSG block of the CLX, the communications path is:

<ENBT Name>, 2, <IP of ENI>, ?, ?

I thought DF1 would be port 2 or 3 and then backplane would be 0 but maybe I'm missing a step. Do I need to go out on the ? port of the ENI then to the DF1 then to the backplane?

Edit: I got this wrong three times. Maybe this shift is a little over-long.

One common error is that the 1761-NET-ENI uses CRC error checking only on the serial port, and ControlLogix and CompactLogix use BCC by default.

RA Knowledgebase document 23479 has a description of what you are asking for, the use of a CIP Data Table Write or Read to a target Logix controller.

In the CIP path, after the IP address, the DF1 port is Port 3, then the destination address should be a valid DF1 address, usually 1.

Last edited:
Thanks Ken,

That is exactly how I had it set up and it was not communicating.

PROBLEM SOLVED however: The target tag in the CPX was not in the controller scope!!

*headslap*

Hi,

I am having a similar problem messaging between two CPX. The target device (1769-L31) has a Net Eni installed on CH1. I am trying to message from CLX (1769-L32E) using a CIP Data Read Table. I have established communication, but I get an IOI syntax error. I have checked that the reading tag is controller scope and the local tag is the same type.

Can I use this type of messaging to communicate this two controllers? Net Eni is a series B device. I added my L32E IP address to message route node 45 on Net Eni.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am having a similar problem messaging between two CPX. The target device (1769-L31) has a Net Eni installed on CH1. I am trying to message from CLX (1769-L32E) using a CIP Data Read Table. I have established communication, but I get an IOI syntax error. I have checked that the reading tag is controller scope and the local tag is the same type.

Can I use this type of messaging to communicate this two controllers? Net Eni is a series B device. I added my L32E IP address to message route node 45 on Net Eni.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum!

Can you post some Screen Captures of your MSG Instruction Tabs?

Stu....

Thank you for your quick reply. This is my message configuration on L32E. Source and Destination Elements are INT[10] type tags. I have verified that this same tag (DATOS) is controller scoped in L31.

CLX Message Conf.jpg

Thank you for your quick reply. This is my message configuration on L32E. Source and Destination Elements are INT[10] type tags. I have verified that this same tag (DATOS) is controller scoped in L31.

I would like to see the Communications Tab as well.

Are you sure they are INT and not DINT? DINT is the Default Data Type for ControlLogix PLCs.

Try adding [0] to the end of DATOS Tags in your Source and Destination Elements. i.e. DATOS[0]

Stu....

Here is the Message Communication Tab. I have already tried adding the [0] at the end of each DATOS tag but I get the same message. Do I need to configure something else in the NET ENI besides the messaging route?

I created DATOS as INT[10] based on the L31 tag (DATOS INT[10])

Thanks again.

CLX Message Path Tab.jpg

Are you reading from the CompactLogix to the ControlLogix, or from the CompactLogix to the ControlLogix?

Stu....

Both CPU's are CompactLogix. I am trying to access L31 Controller from a L32E. L31 has a NET ENI series B installed on CH1 for Ethernet connection with L32E (Built-In Ethernet Port)

Both CPU's are CompactLogix. I am trying to access L31 Controller from a L32E. L31 has a NET ENI series B installed on CH1 for Ethernet connection with L32E (Built-In Ethernet Port)

Ok, I wanted to be sure of the setup. In your first post you used the acronym CLX, which is usually interpreted as a ControlLogix.

The Error you are getting is a Serial Port Error.

Try this for your Communications Path.

LocalENB,2,10.112.1.82,3,1

Stu....

Thank you very much Stu. I will test it tomorrow and get back to you once I make the change. You have been very helpful.

Best regards.

Francisco

No problem Francisco.

I think you need the Communications Path I Posted, and the [0] on the end of your Source and Destination Elements.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck!

Stu....