Ignition ( Factory PMI)

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anybody use this platform? sounds like a great concept. just trying to get feedback on the product. I am waiting to hear from them about the web demo.

my main questions are:
how reliable is the software?

how does internet speed affect the client app? my customers would be logging in using slow satellite internet providers.

how many clients can be logged on before you see any type of performance issue?

can you setup the client to only see certain screens based on the login credentials?

Yes, I use it here.

Let's see, Running the Fpmi/FQSL system on a Win2003 Server box on our Vmware cluster.(I haven't migrated my Ignition RHEL box into production yet)

The Fpmi gateway is solid, I haven't ever had that crash on me. I've had applications lock up in testing, but in general the error handling seems to work well. Most lock ups have been related to SQL queries i'm doing in the scripting language before I got proficent at providing failsafe clauses(so if my query fails, it returns SOMETHING, not just an error).

FSQL(The PLC <> SQL part) has been 100%. Never had a problem w/ crashing there.

Internet speed, My understanding is the project gets downloaded to the client on startup. From there, It will depend on how much data is changing on the screen, what the update rate is, etc. My applications work well over VPN but YMMV of course(Grab the demo and try it out for a better feel for it).

How many clients? Not a clue. I've had 15 clients up and running at the same time w/out noticing any slowdown.

And yes, The security model is pretty solid. You can certainly restrict screens and whatnot based on the login stuff.

thanks for the information. I look forward to trying out the demo. I am setup for a web demo tomorrow.

is the development user friendly? I have only worked in wonderware so this is definitely something new to me.

If you've used wonderware, The interface isn't going to be a shocker. I find it pretty friendly overall.
Some of the layout options take some getting used to(mostly the anchoring stuff), but there are/were some great videos off the website that helped w/ that.

Ive been involved in teh testing stages since July. Ignition is a beautiful platform, and its really maturing at a fast rate. If you run it in Windows, you have access to your existing OPC DA Servers.

I have a client that connects via satellite to a host, and its works fine.

From a server standpoint, there was a benchmark done a few years ago that showed a P4 server with 2 GB Ram can do roughly 100 clients with 10000 tags. Ignition scales way better

Ive been involved in teh testing stages since July. Ignition is a beautiful platform, and its really maturing at a fast rate. If you run it in Windows, you have access to your existing OPC DA Servers.

I have a client that connects via satellite to a host, and its works fine.

From a server standpoint, there was a benchmark done a few years ago that showed a P4 server with 2 GB Ram can do roughly 100 clients with 10000 tags. Ignition scales way better

sounds good. I am excited about playing with something different than wonderware!