CLX to PV+ tag database question

PLCRookie

I am in the process(spare time)modifying some code in a CLX system to add some additional fault logic with counters for the individual faults. The system has a PV+ 600 connected via ethernet. I am modifying the CLX code and the PV+ screens at my desk, while the machine is in production, but I am not connected to either. My question is, when I create a new tag in the PV+, I do not have access to the CLX tags, only the HMI tags. I can see the CLX tags that currently exist ({[PLC01]PV_ENABLE_HEAT} for example), but I need to creat new tags to the CLX for my new counters. I have created the new tags in the CLX program (the CLX program is done). How do I get (import)the new CLX tags to my PV+? I have manually entered the new tag names in the PV+, and I get a message "tag does not exist, do you want to create one?". I click no, and the tag that I entered displays correctly. Will this method work, or will I get errors when I download. Should I import the tag DB from the CLX program while offline? If so, how do I do that?

I hope this makes sense, this is the first time I have done this much to the system offline, and I am new to the CLX/PV+ AB world. I do like it, it seems really powerful. But it is certainly more complex.

o_O

did you remember to update your tags in factorytalk view? the tags you have created in the clx are they online or offline?

Fryman,

I would have to say no, I didn't. I have the current CLX program on my laptop, and I just got the .APA file of the PV+ from the builder. I have been doing this at my desk in my spare time. The machine is located away form me, and I will have to go down to go online. It is currently in production, but will be down all of next week, when I plan on testing the modifications.
Can I import the tags form my offline project to RSView studio?

Thanks for the response.

🍻

Go into the Communication Setup for RSLinx Enterprise. In the right hand window, below the Device Shortcuts setup, there is a place to browse to an Offline Tag File. This should allow you to point to your new ControlLogix program (offline) and browse to the new tags that you have created.

i dont know if you can import them from an offline project, maybe somebody more expericened than me can answer that. But i have often added tags to an online clx while it has been running, and then you can finish your hmi. Then when the machine is not in production next week, you can update the ladder logic.

ahh good to know blamb thx

Last edited:
Ideally, you don't "import" ControlLogix tags into a FactoryTalk View ME project, which turns them into "HMI Tags" like in RSView32.

What you described is a "Direct Reference" tag: {[PLC01]PV_ENABLE_HEAT}

Where [PLC01] is the RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut, and PV_ENABLE_HEAT is the tag in the Controller-Scope tag database in the ControlLogix.

When you are connected online, you get a +Online folder when you open the Tag Browse to connect an object to a tag.

When you are not connected online, you have to give FTView Studio a little help to find the tags in the ControlLogix database by pointing it to the RSLogix 5000 project file (*.ACD).

In RSLinx Enterprise configuration inside FTView Studio ME, select the shortcut, make sure it is pointing to the controller (even though you are offline) then use the "Offline File" path field at the bottom of the screen to point to the *.ACD file.

This will give you a "+Offline" folder under the shortcut when you browse for tags, which will contain all the tags in the *.ACD file.

[EDIT: blamb said it more concisely]

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the lesson. I will try it out later today.

I've got to run and make some prototype parts right now.

Ken, if I just type in the new reference {[PLC01]PV_ENABLE_HEAT1}, will this work when I download? I have created the tag in the new offline .ACD program.

Again, thanks for the help, guys.

(y)

Go into the Communication Setup for RSLinx Enterprise. In the right hand window, below the Device Shortcuts setup, there is a place to browse to an Offline Tag File. This should allow you to point to your new ControlLogix program (offline) and browse to the new tags that you have created.

When I tried this, I get "FAILED TO SAVE SHORTCUT FILE".

;)

In RSLinx Enterprise configuration inside FTView Studio ME, select the shortcut, make sure it is pointing to the controller (even though you are offline) then use the "Offline File" path field at the bottom of the screen to point to the *.ACD file.

This will give you a "+Offline" folder under the shortcut when you browse for tags, which will contain all the tags in the *.ACD file.

[EDIT: blamb said it more concisely]

Thanks Ken,I tried this.

But I do not see a "+OFFLINE" folder when I brose for tags under the shortcut.

I do see the PLC01 tag, though.....

:confused:

Okay, if [PLC01] appears as though it is a "tag" instead of as a Shortcut, you don't have a valid Shortcut configured.

To take a further step back, if you don't have a FactoryTalk Directory set up (even a Local one) you can't set up the rest of the communications substructure.

Do you remember setting up a FactoryTalk Local Directory when you started work on this PV+ project ? You can run the FT Directory Configuration Wizard to build one from scratch.

Once you get a valid Shortcut configured, you can try again to associate the Offline file with that shortcut.

A peek at what an associated Offline file looks like from the Tag Browser:

tagbrowser.PNG

If the "folder" PLC01 shows up on the left side of the Tag Browser but does not have the +Diagnostic Items or +Online folders underneath it, then the Shortcut is not associated with a Controller.

So that's step 1: configure the Shortcut so that it points to a Controller.

In the RSLinx Enterprise communications configuration screen:

Select the Shortcut on the left.
Select the Controller on the right.
Click "Apply" on the left.

If the Controller does not appear (because you are not connected to a network) on the right, then create the network interface, backplane, and controller manually by right-clicking and selecting "Add Device", and specifying the address and slot numbers that are appropriate.

It really doesn't matter for Offline purposes that the Shortcut be addressed to an actual correct controller address and slot. What's important is that it's addressed to *something*.

Did exactly as you said, Ken. The .apa folder that I got had the shortcut already there, so I just changed the path (thru the browse button) to the new .acd file on my laptop. Now, no "PLC01" in the tag browser folder.

I think I give up for today...........sorry.

:mad: