Redlion G3 versus Kadet

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am working on a new project using a micrologix 1100 (Luckiy I ordered 1100 before the shortage).

I need an HMI and want to use a Redlion product as I have heard a lot of good things about them on this forum.

What is the difference between a standard G3 unit and a Kadet unit. Is the Kadet capable of talking to the PLC via ethernet?

My experience with the Kadet is very limited to a borrowed G304K. I was very impressed with its capabilities. Most of all, I liked the fact that it was up and running in less than 10 seconds after I applied power.

I believe that the model I used for a test had two serial ports, and no ethernet. I plan to order one for a real application next week.

The software was great too. It is much different than what I have used before, so there is a minor learning curve, but I was initially very impressed and was able to create a reasonably complex application in two days. There is a boatload of power, even in the Kadet series. Just don't use Crimson 3.0 with it yet. I don't think the newest software is ready for all of the Kadets yet, at least not the one I used.

Whatever you do, don't use the Panelview 300 Micro. We have had no less than a dozen failures on 6 installations of the 300 Micro in two years. They are not nearly as rugged as the Panelview standard.

For the same money, I would definitely recommend the Kadet, since it is faster, has color, two serial ports, and much more capability.

There are many experienced Red Lion users here who praise their products and support, so hopefully they can correct any errors I may have made in my statements above, and give you more info about the G3 series which I have never used.

Last edited:
> Just don't use Crimson 3.0 with it yet. I don't think the
> newest software is ready for all of the Kadets yet, at
> least not the one I used.

C3 shipped today, and ought to work well on all Kadets.

> Just don't use Crimson 3.0 with it yet. I don't think the
> newest software is ready for all of the Kadets yet, at
> least not the one I used.

C3 shipped today, and ought to work well on all Kadets.
Mike

Will the G306K communicate with a micro 1100, also I downloaded the trial version of crimson 3, how can i get the release version and does it have the allen bradley ethernet drivers?

The Kadets have the same drivers as the main line G3, so I don't see why not. I assume it would be the L5K driver, but Dan would be able to get you a 100% answer Monday. Re the release build, the auto update on the preview copies ought to upgrade your to Build 200, which is the gold build we released today.

I use the Micrologix 1100's with the standard 3" G3's all the time and like Mike said, It should connect fine as it has the same drivers.

The difference is that with the Kadet you will not get some features like DataLogging, FTP Access, Web Server..
The 4" Kadet on has the 2 serial ports but the 6" adds the Ethernet Port.
You lose the buttons down the left side of screen as well.