Restoring RSLinx settings.

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
Last week I fell victim to the mystery Windows update (quickly pulled by MS because too many computers, mine included, were going into a boot-BSOD-reboot-BSOD loop). Rather than mess with it the IT department swapped my hard drive but my RSLinx settings never had the chance to get backed up. Since the hard drive didn't have any physical issues I didn't loose any work and I'm connected to it now so I can get to everything - however RSlinx runs from the new drive. Does anyone know of a way I can transfer my settings? Is there a file I can copy over?

The only thing I know of is the Backup/Restore utility which should be installed when you install RSLinx. This will create a backup file which you can use to restore your settings on your new drive.

However, I don't know how this will work if there was not a backup file on the other drive, which is maybe what you meant by "but my RSLinx settings never had the chance to get backed up."

Thanks for the suggestion George. There is no .rsx export file however. In the end its not going to be that bad, there are half a dozen drivers and maybe half a dozen OPC servers configured, etc, which I'll reset up as I need them. Its just if there is an easy way to recover the settings that would be nice.

If you've done a clean install of RSLinx on your new HDD, then the registry structure where RSLinx stores its driver details will all be new, and hence the old drivers will not be there.

You could try hacking into the OLD registry on the defunct drive.

Look for keys like that below, which was a registry change made by adding a second DF1 driver.

Don't know if it'll work if you just re-create the keys in the new registry.......

Just tried deleting that registry branch for DF1-2 in the registry (with RSLinx shutdown, of course), re-started RSLinx, and hey-presto DF1-2 driver gone!!

You may therefore be able to add drivers that way.....

ART_1.jpg

Last edited:
The RSLinx Backup Restore Utility is a great way to save your RSLinx configuration. I use it all the time when I need to switch over to the PIC driver, which requires that it (PIC) is the only driver configured. I'd recommend backing up your new configuration once you get your drivers rebuilt. That way you'll be prepared if this happens again in the future.

The problem with the update was with a malware rootkit.
Depending upon what lengths you are willing to go to for the backup you can try this.
Restart issues can be resolved by replacing an infected driver with the original. This can be performed from the recovery console.
The top ten filenames reported in the wild:
atapi.sys
iaStor.sys
nvata.sys
nvstor32.sys
nvstor.sys
nvgts.sys
nvatabus.sys
SiSRaid.sys
IdeChnDr.sys
iastorv.sys
For example: ‘atapi.sys’ resides at the following location:
%windir%\system32\drivers\atapi.sys
You'll need to clean the rootkit out after you get the pc running.

The RSLinx Backup Restore Utility is a great way to save your RSLinx configuration. I use it all the time when I need to switch over to the PIC driver, which requires that it (PIC) is the only driver configured.
I use a PIC and DF1 on the same system all the time. When I want the PIC I just stop the Linx service then restart and load the pic driver. When I don't want the PIC, I don't load the driver. I leave both configured all the time.