Serial interface for removable media?

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I'm looking a device that will allow me to communicate with some type of removable media (Compactflash, MicroSD, USB thumb drive, etc) using RS232/RS485 and standard serial commands. It needs to communicate at the FAT16/32 level, so I can perform file operations.

Background:
My customer wants a small, inexpensive, color touchscreen and I am looking at the Red Lion G304K. He also needs to be able to log data to some type of media that can be removed and read by a computer off-site. I know the standard G3 units have CompactFlash capability, but the cheapest color unit (G306) is $600 more than the G304K, and out of his price range. I'd like to find some kind of interface that could communicate serially with the G304K (which can do raw serial commands AFAIK) and write to removable memory.

So far, all I've been able to find are board-level solutions that would require me to come up with a circuit board, enclosure, etc. Something more polished that snaps onto a DIN rail would be great. Any suggestions?

P.S. I am open to other brands of HMI, but it needs to have a Panasonic/Matsushita FPX driver.

Does such a thing exist? That really sounds like one of those projects that gets hacked together because there's never been anything like that before...

Though of course I have no damned clue whether something like that exists or not, so I could be completely wrong here.

I'm looking a device that will allow me to communicate with some type of removable media (Compactflash, MicroSD, USB thumb drive, etc) using RS232/RS485 and standard serial commands. It needs to communicate at the FAT16/32 level, so I can perform file operations.

Background:
My customer wants a small, inexpensive, color touchscreen and I am looking at the Red Lion G304K. He also needs to be able to log data to some type of media that can be removed and read by a computer off-site. I know the standard G3 units have CompactFlash capability, but the cheapest color unit (G306) is $600 more than the G304K, and out of his price range. I'd like to find some kind of interface that could communicate serially with the G304K (which can do raw serial commands AFAIK) and write to removable memory.

So far, all I've been able to find are board-level solutions that would require me to come up with a circuit board, enclosure, etc. Something more polished that snaps onto a DIN rail would be great. Any suggestions?

P.S. I am open to other brands of HMI, but it needs to have a Panasonic/Matsushita FPX driver.
Take a look at the Horner OCS units.
Exactly what you're looking for.
Plenty of drivers too, not sure about the Panasonic one,I have no way of checking it out right now.

Right now I'm looking at this board which accepts serial commands and writes directly to a USB flash drive. Supports FAT16/32 and long filenames. I'll have to put it on a PCB with a power supply and RS232 level converter. Yes that's a bummer but the only enclosed device I found was the Acumen Databridge, which is ridiculously expensive and doesn't allow file control AFAIK.

My preference would be a G306 but the money just isn't there.