Simple (probably) WinCC question

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I want to do a change to a WinCC SCADA application that we have running at our place. All I want to do is change some text but I'm worried about "stopping" the SCADA program in case I can't ge it going again. I've absolutely no experience with winCC but I have got quite a bit of experience with Citect SCADA.

How do I 'stop' the SCADA system running? I can get to the desktop by pressing the Windows key (bottom left of keyboard).

I'm assuming that I 'stop' the SCADA running (somehow?) and then boot up the WinCC designer program. Then navigate to the Screens, double click on the screen I want, change the text, Save the project...

Then I'm a bit stuck... in Citect I would then 'compile' the program and then run the 'runtime' version of the program.

Can someone please guide me on how to do this change WinCC.

Also.. while I'm asking, does anyone know of any good 'beginner' guides to WinCC. Either books that I can buy or PDF's from Siemens site or whatever?

I've had a look around but couldn't find anything that was for a beginner.

Many thanks

;-)

You wont have to stop WinCC to make a change. This can be done with the application running. Simply launch the Windows Control Centre ->Graphics designer, open the graphic and change the text.

In runtime, navigate to another page to refresh. I'll have a root through my manuals and see if I have some that may be of help to you my fellow paddy :)

Morphius, That's great thanks.

I have found one manual that I'm going to read through but anything you have would be greatly received.

Thanks for the tips.

Is it possible to change tags etc then while it's still running too?

As I said, in Citect, you need to 'recompile' whenever you do a change like that.

Just out of interest, how do you exit runtime and start it back up?

Thanks again for your help

;-)

Morphius, That's great thanks.

I have found one manual that I'm going to read through but anything you have would be greatly received.

Thanks for the tips.

Is it possible to change tags etc then while it's still running too?

As I said, in Citect, you need to 'recompile' whenever you do a change like that.

Just out of interest, how do you exit runtime and start it back up?

Thanks again for your help

;-)

I'm assuming your interfacing to a Siemens PLC. Is this correct? Do you want to change the tagname or the tag address?

Don't have WinCC on my laptop and its been a while. I'm pretty sure you can change the address during runtime.

If its the tagname you need to change just create a new tag with the same address of the one you want to change.

To exit/run the runtime there is 2 buttons on the top of WinCC that look like a Stop and play button of a DVD player. Does this make sense? Is this what your trying to achive or do you want an option to shut it down from within the runtime? This can be done via a VBA or C script.

Morphuis,
I've had a go with your advice today and I think I've cracked it. You are right that you can do it without exiting runtime. I managed to add an IO address without exiting runtime and everything seemed to be ok.

I am interfacing with a Siemens PLC, you are correct. I've also found the Stop and Run buttons for the runtime now.

Thanks again for all your brilliant help.

Much appreciated

;-)