slc5/04 communication problem

benjie007

am trying to communicate with slc5/04 processor using rs232
port but won't allow me. rs232 is curently connected to panel view. is there any remedy other than using DH+?? the cable is
substantialy expensive...

Check to see what the PanelView is set up for communications. It might be different than the Default. Also, did you try an AutoConfigure in RSLinx? You will need a crossover cable to communicate with the SLC5/04 RS232 Port from you PC.

Stu.....

Needs to be online to check PanelView set up for communication? I did autoconfig, all i got is can't find baud rate/check cables. any inputs about cable crossover?

Do you have the offline file for your SLC5/04? If so check its communication port settings.
The serial port can be configured for DF1 ( default) DH485 or ASCII.

If DF1 you need to use the RS232 DF1 Device Driver.
If DH485 you need to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ Driver ( need a real serial port for this one. Do you have one?)
If ASCII then you cannot connect to it for Uplaod /Download purposes.

Cable for DF1 and DH485 comm is a null-modem cable.

Also post the complete catalog number for your PanelView and we can tell you what protocol it supports.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I checked the offline port setting and it was on RS232 DF1 and am also using RS232 DF1 Device Driver on RSLinx. Is there a possibility that the RS232 port is bad but talking/working good in PanelView?

I don't have information about PV Cat.# i nonly got brand name and Serial No. POWER PANEL by UTICOR S#014201827 M#100G-8SR0.Supported protocol RS232 and DH485.

I would check your serial cable next. Should be a basic 2-3 crosspver with 5 straight through.
2--------3
3--------2
5--------5

It's unlikely that the port is bad yet still communicating to the PanelView.

After you verify your cable, try manually setting the driver according to your offline file. Rarely, Autoconfigure doesn't work, but manually setting it up will. This can be due to using a USB to serial port adapter, but I have seen this problem with a real serial port once.

Regular cable and a null modem adapter

Depending on the Way the programmer configured the rs232 port you can use the cable with or without the null modem one way is much harder then the other. If the PLC was setup as Dh485 you will have to turn off tour linx server and use the PIC/AIC driver with your cable its a pain in the butt especially on the new versions of RS Linx. however It can be done a straight cable with the null modem is accentually the same as the Cp3 cable I would keep looking on ebay for your cables I have got some Good cables without making then on there.
I hope it helps you out
The Jerk LOL

I liked Mickeys answer too You go Dude

I liked Mickeys answer too You go Dude

Do you have the offline file for your SLC5/04? If so check its communication port settings.
The serial port can be configured for DF1 ( default) DH485 or ASCII.

If DF1 you need to use the RS232 DF1 Device Driver.
If DH485 you need to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ Driver ( need a real serial port for this one. Do you have one?)
If ASCII then you cannot connect to it for Uplaod /Download purposes.

Cable for DF1 and DH485 comm is a null-modem cable.

Also post the complete catalog number for your PanelView and we can tell you what protocol it supports.

hi benjie, well i want to add my UK 2 pence if i can, i have come across this before, now wait for it..... it may be different from my encounters and my help might not work but TBH read on and it all looks very similar.

we had an italian oven and production line installed which was a 5/04 with 2 off panelview PLUS 1000 on DH+(see what i did there bernie? lol) anyway somehow they had tried there hardest to stop anyone been able to access the application but an outside contractor managed to crack it after a few weeks, basically what he did was to do an auto config in one driver which then came back as check cables etc, then he changed the driver but did nothing with autoconfig or settings, saved it then there you have it one 5/04!

now i am sorry i am vague with the info its been along time ago this happened, but i am on nights tonight (MONDAY) and i have wrote down the procedure to do this and i am more than happy to post it once i come home 7am tue morning(uk time)

Rob

right then try this and see if this helps matters, let me know how you get on.....

connect pc to slc as per usual

open RS Linx as normal

configure df1 driver and select slc-cho/micro/panelview

click auto configure

once complete it will come up saying unsuccesful (displays an error)

then select driver 1770-kf3/1747-ke

DO NOT AUTO CONFIGURE THIS! just click ok

then open rslogix 500 and go to who active and hopefully you should see the processor

hope this solves your problem and let me know how you get on please

Rob

Many thanks to all and the info's that you've shared. As of now, am still struggling to talk with that SLC 5/04.

I have a working 1747 CP3 that i use to talk with SLC 5/03 and /05. I also tried to use a null modem cable, no success. Compared the cable configuration they are basically the same.

Rob, i did follow your instruction but i can't view the processor. Gives me a dialog box with (x04) in it. RSLinx run w/o conflict though.

So i went back to Mickey's concepts and review my offline file. Later i found out that channel 0 and channel 1 was configured as DF1 and DH+ respectively. Go back to RSLinx and configure the driver but gives me a dialog box with (not the same node add.)

Last edited: