Siemens Sinec L2 Info

shaun_nel

Hi Guys,

I have a Siemens Sinec L2 PG/PC Busterminal (6GK1 500-0DA00)connected to a Siemens Touch Panel. I have never worked with this device before (the busterminal that is.) and I wuold like to get a user manual for it. However, when I search the net, all I seem to find is second hand parts websites or manuals with vague info. Does anyone know what this device is used for or where I can find info on it?
Failing that, maybe someone can answer this question : On the front of this Busterminal is a 9 pin D connector. Can this be used to connect a laptop or PG via MPI? I have already tried but none of the LED's on my MPI light up as I expect when doing so.

Many thanks,
Shaun.

When Profibus and Sinec-L2 started, it was Siemens recommended strategy to use the "bus terminals" everywhere a station was to be added.
Today, we use smaller Profibus connectors that do the same thing, except that they go directly on the Profibus port on the station. I have never used the bus terminals. Nobody uses them these days (I havent seen anyone using them).

The reason that your PC adapter does not light up is that you connect it to a HMI panel. The required 24V is missing in the MPI/DP port on the panel.

Thanks for that JesperMP. So what you're saying is that this is actually really old technology? This is surprising since the plant I am currently in is brand new with state of the art Siemens equipment. I wonder what the reasoning was behind the use of this?
This touch panel is a fair distance away from the CPU and it's also the only device connected to the X1 (MPI/DP) port. I wonder if these busterminals were just used as repeaters then? (There are actually 2 of them - one at the PLC side and then one at the TP side, with Profibus cable between them.) If this is the case, which I suspect it is - surely there is a better way of doing it? (with newer equipment I mean.)

Also, do you perhaps know of any way of getting 24V to the local port to allow the use of my PG?

Thanks again for the info,
Shaun.

I have managed to find a manual from the Siemens website that gives details on this unit. (6GK1970–5CA20–0AA1)

It specifically mentions that you can connect a PG/PC to the available 9 pin port on the front panel but it doesn't mention anythign about additional power.

Can anyone assist with this?

Many thanks,
Shaun.