PLC Digital input across a Voltage Divider

rvim002

Could someone say if this will work?

The datasheet suggests that when it sees 33V or above, the ingital input is ON and for any voltage less than 33V, it is OFF.

Can I size the resistor suitably, so that when the voltage across R1 and R2 are above and below 33V?

The logic I want to detect is that when switch S1 is pressed, the digital input 1 is activated and when switch S2 is pressed, digital input 2 is activated. Is this possible from the wiring shown in attachment?

Please advise

Looks like it should assuming the digital inputs have a large input impedance relative to the R values.

edit: your drawing shows different references for the inputs (differential). many input cards will not allow this.

Last edited:
Thanks jstolaruk...

I think they are high impedance, so it should work I guess. They are not differential, but I will connect input 1 and 2 to different cards

No that won't work with any typical digital input modules.
To start with, you would need completely isolated input modules, sharing no common; that is, each channel needs both an input and a common wire.

Seriously, for clarity, simplicity, understandability, and maintainability, why not just use a second set of contacts off of each switch?

And "Thinking" the inputs are high impedance does not make them so. The input module specifications would though, and typically, they are not very high impedance.

I continuously "THINK" I have about 4 billion dollars in my bank account, but the damned statements from the bank always seem to differ :(

Thanks rdrast for your advice. I will look into the datasheets and check again if they are high imp.

From what I saw, it says that the current drawn is 3mA at 48V DC. I believe that 16K is high imp.

Keep things simple. Wire switch 1 into input 1 and switch 2 into input 2. Let the plc do any logic that you need. Don't bother with resistors the input modules will look after themselves.