Write protect DB on download, S7

timmye

Hello, When I download to my PLC (CPU315F) I do not want to write over certain DBs which have settings held from the SCADA. I thought i had solved the problem by going to the DB object properties and ticking the 'DB is write-protected in the PLC' box. however, when i next downloaded the full program to the PLC it would not go into run mode. when i looked at the module info - diagnostics I had a SF (system fault) and error message saying it could not write to DBxx, which i had made write protected! it seems like it downloaded the DBs which I had made write protected. Is there something I am missing here?!

Any help or comments would be appreicated.

Write protect dosent stop you from overwriting (downloading) the DB it stops the PLC code from writing to the db.
The setting will make the DB read only for the logic
So if you tick the write protect setting you have to make sure that the logic isen't trying to write to the DB because that will cause an error.

Last edited:
Don't download that DB. Select the blocks you have modified and only download those blocks. You can sort by date to determine what needs to be downloaded. Also you can "compare blocks" (date timestamp only) to determine what needs to be downloaded.

To capture the values in that DB that has settings from SCADA:
1. Make a backup of your project.
2. In the offline view, Right click the DB and copy & paste it. If it's DB1, rename it DB3001 or something obvious. (This is just a backup.)
3. Open an online view and drag & drop the online DB to the offline view.
4. Open the DB and check to be sure you don't get the dreaded "symbol information of the block is invalid". If all good, delete your backup from step 2 (DBxxxx).

thanks guys I guess I will just have to remember to upload the DBs first or not download to them. I was hoping there would be a way to stop me or someone else from accidentally downloading over these DBs with SCADA settings.

write protect

hi every body
i have aproblem with a s7 program which is write protected by the designer i can't do any thing in the program when i go to download the program to screen i had one masssge ((( it's write protect))) can any body help me to solve this problem how i can let this program without write protect