Kepware to S7300 communication

khalid rafiq

Hi,
I am trying to connect kepware OPC server to S7300 PLC. The task is to read Data block DB40 into OPC. As it is my first experiance with Kepware to S7300 i am facing problem with Tag addresses. Data block's structure shown in the picture. any one help me to configure tag addresses of kepware for this data block.

Thanks,
Khalid Rafique

DB40.JPG

In Kepware, First define the Channel of the correct type e.g. "Siemens S7 Ethernet" then the device: S7300. Add tags to the DB as DBXXX.DBWYY

Nick

Kepware.jpg

A few years ago, I created an archive of Kepserver to read a S7300 with RSView32. When you configure the driver, channel, etc and get to the tag database, you have to create a tag with a nemonic name (ex Motor1_RPM) and asign the DB block with point and another db addres depending if you want to address boolean, a float, a DWord, etc. I don't remeber how to do it exactly, because i desinstalled Simatic S7, but in my kepware file I have tags like:

Name: Mtr_Vent_Hz
Addr: DB31.DBW28
Type: Word

Name: Mtr_Vent_Hz
Addr: B100.DBD154
Type: DWord

Name:Mtr_Vent_Hum
DB31.DBD102
Type: Float

As I told you, I don't remember how you asign the value to the right side of the dot DB40.????, but you hav to follow the rule to make a float, word or whatelse.

The addressing is like the following table(taked from Kepware Help)

Data Block
DB1 - N.DBX00000.b - DBX65535.b
1-N is DB Block Number
.b is Bit Number 0 -7
Boolean
Read - Write

Data Block
DB1 - N.DBB00000 - DBB65535
1 - N is DB Block Number
Byte, Char
Read - Write

Data Block
DB1 - N.DBW00000 - DBW65535
1 - N is DB Block Number
Word, Short, BCD
Read - Write

Data Block
DB1 - N.DBD00000 - DBD65535
1 - N is DB Block Number
Dword, Long, Float
Read - Write

Hope it can help you. If you can show a JPG of the Siemens database of DB40, I will try to remember to make a more useful post.

Last edited:
If you're using RSview32 and kepware4 you don't actually need to define tags in kepware at all. In Rsview32 define the node and then when making a new tag: select the OPC node and enter the address as ChannelName.DeviceName.DBXXX.DBWYYY.

Nick

rsview32.jpg

Thanks all of you. actuelly i was busy at some other project. Now i have tested but the problem is still there. i am receiving "bad" quality in kepware. the connection to the PLC is usb MPI cable. the cable is OK i can access PLC through Step7. I have attached pic of S7 project. what is required is to read elements of DB40,41,42,43. I use DB40.DBW0,DB40.DBW2 ...

Thanks,
Khalid Rafique

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Dear Khalid,

Kepware doesn't work with the USB MPI cable, you need a RS232 MPI cable.

You can visit the FAQ section of kepware and they have an alternate NETLINK cable which u can use.