Stepper Control

willis0966

I have two AB 1746-HSTP1 Stepper Modules. I need help with constructing the data file to load the configuration and more help with loading the command file. Can anyone "explain" what bits need to be set for configuring to run in a "step & direction" mode? And, after that, what would be an example data file to move 2000 steps in a CW direction and return 800 steps in a CCW direction? I've used Micrologix 1200 PTO function several times but never a ...-HSTP1 module. Thanks for any help.

The AB manuals do an OK example of using them as a step and direction. I think it is bit 15 of Output word 0 that puts the module into configuration mode. That is from memory. The back of the manual has some examples.

Jeff, You're obviously more experienced at this than I am. I have AB "Publication 999-121 - December 1999." The examples in the back of the book seem to be lacking in explanation and the "images" of the ladder diagrams are almost un-readable. In the smudgy images, it appears that they are constructing the output words but don't offer any "values" to see what they actually end up with. Am I looking at the same thing you are?

OK I see what you mean by the images being smudgy.
Print out Appendix B and have pen in handle when you read chapter 5. You will notice that Output word 0 bit 15 is 1 for configuration mode and 0 for command mode. Keep this in mind. As you read CH. 5 make notes of what you don’t understand. Don’t stop reading the chapter continue reading. Then re-read it. Sorry to sound like a broken record or a teacher but that is the best way that I learn. I find what I can miss one little thing and be then the light will click.

I am short on time this morning got a drive acting up and can’t catch it in the act.