Remote IO over FO link to AP PLC

Bob A.

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've come upon a job in progress that is going to do level measurement and alarming for a tank farm. The customer wants a FO based backbone with a PLC and Remote Analog IO to bring in tank level data. I've done a lot of FO in the past using AF modules for DH+ in PLC 5 but nothing more.

AB is preferred by The customer (and me). What IO over FO options would you guys consider for this application ? Any midlevel PLCs in this application, or is it all the way to the top?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Best Regards,

Bob A.

It really depends on your I/O count. If the I/O count is relatively low, you could use MicroLogix 1100 / 1400, although their currently experiencing long delays for delivery and will not be an option in the short term. Depending on the size of the tank farm, multiple controllers could be used, with messaging between the controllers.

The CompactLogix L23 is probably the next step up and also supports a relatively low I/O count. CompactLogix L3x / L4x would support larger I/O counts. CompactLogix does support some Remote I/O over ethernet.

ControlLogix is also an option, and probably your best option (in my opinion) for AB Remote I/O over ethernet.

Obviously you'll need some sort of media converter for the ethernet / fiber interface. I have recently used some of the AB Stratix (8000 & 2000) ethernet switches for ControlLogix Remote I/O. They are a bit pricy but have worked out well.

If the customer prefers AB they might have a hardware or software preference as well. You might ask what they have at other locations, as there are benefits to keeping hardware and software platforms similar from location to location.

I like the attached because they have a module for every ab plc family and it is chasis based or panel mount your choice fiber and copper conversion on the same module as well as fiber diagnostics.

Real simple to setup and great support.

I have worked with the Phoenix Digital AB modules on a SLC project. They work pretty well but they are expensive and if I remember correctly they are only available from a few, if not one, source?

Definately an option for fiber optics using AB, although I think I'd prefer to stay away from third party hardware if possible.