structuring programmes

ralph9871

Hi I am brand new to plc programming and have just started an on line course. I am currently struggling with a motor control question using increment and decrement values to a data register.Apart from the speed control I do not understand the concept of structuring programmes.Any help in as basic as possible terms would be gratefully accepted.Cheers Ralph

Post the question verbatim.

ok found it:

[FONT=&quot]1. FINE CONTROL - Inc and Dec the speed value on every press of the button. Changing speed say from 1RPM to 2RPM etc[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]2. MEDIUM CONTROL – If the operator holds the button pressed for 3seconds then automatically change the speed up or down. Changing 1RPM to 100RPM[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]3. COARSE COUNTROL – If the operator holds the button pressed for 15seconds then automatically change the speed up or down as fast as possible. Changing 1RPM to 2000RPM[/FONT]​

Last edited:
Interesting question in that if you are at 1rpm and press the increment button the speed will increase to 2rpm so it will not be possible to use the medium to increase from 1rpm to 100rpm

Should medium increment by 99rpm or 98rpm ?

Similar argument for coarse.

What programming language are you using ?

One way of implementing Structured programming is to use

If....
Then...
Else...
endif

case statemnts

while...
do...
endwhile

Goto or Jump should not be used.

Does this help ?

... so we are talking about structuring a ladder logic program.

I'm not aware of any formal rules for this, anyone else ?

Thanks LD and Mordred for your positive replies, i found them most helpful.

Many thanks to Ozee for your positive comment, not, of "We won't do your homework for you. Ask a specific question."

If you had read the post before it asked me to post the question which i did!! Again many thanks for being so supportive!