AC and DC motor Sizing

Gabsdad

I am very interested in learning how to properly size AC and DC motors and servos for various types of applications. Where would a person look for this information. I have seen a few servo sizing programs online which is fine but I want to understand everything completely. I want to learn when and why to use a servo vs an ac induction motor. Any thoughts on good books for this sort of stuff?

Thanks

First you need to know the load and acceleration rates at all points during the motion profile. This will give you an idea of how much torque and power that will be required at each point of the motion profile. Then you need to look at the performance curves of the motors. This will be torque vs velocity and you must make sure the motor performance envelope can handle the motion profile envelope.

Getting specifications on the motors is easy. Getting the mechanical engineers to provide the load/inertia is hard. This can be very difficult if there is something non linear about the load.

A motor produces speed and torque regardless of type. You need to identify what your load requires for speed and torque and be sure the motor can cover the requirement.

As Peter mentions, there are subtleties beyond that. Particularly, if you are making sudden speed changes, that requires either motoring or braking torque and your motor will need to provide that, as well.

Once you have chosen a potential motor, you need to be sure the motor will survive longterm under the duty conditions. This usually involves a review of motor thermal limits.

Otherwise, there's nothing to it! (That was intended to be funny!)