Counter preset?

PhilipD

Hi gang,

I don't even know what to call this so I can do a search on it. I need a device that I can set to a preset number (001-999) and then have a PLC read that number and act when a counter equals that number. In this particular case I need to set then number of staples a machine puts in a box. If the box need 10 then the operator will set the device (thumbwheel?) to 10 and run the order. If the next order needs 15 set it to 15, and so on.

What would this device be called?

Many PLC setups will include a display/entry device. A usual abbreviation for this is HMI (Human/Machine Interface). This allows for a variety of information display and entry on one device. The choice of an HMI is often influenced by the PLC which is being used though most have the protocol drivers for all major PLCs.

If you have only one item (number of staples for instance) then an input card with at least 12 inputs (for 3 BCD digits from thumbwheel switches) could be used.

Thanks for your input Bernie. We received this machine from another plant just this week. The control board (the one that controls the number of staples stitched into each box) was missing. I was able to get the machine running by using a Durant counter with a relay. Very simple and pretty inexpensive to implement.

Now as far as your response about a HMI, I have seen a few and even touched one a time or two but I have no first hand knowledge of how to program one or how to interface it to a PLC. That is something I will have to correct in the near future.

Last edited:
Now as far as your response about a HMI, I have seen a few and even touched one a time or two but I have no first hand knowledge of how to program one or how to interface it to a PLC. That is something I will have to correct in the near future.

Phillip,

Automation Direct sells a HMI called the Cmore micro. This version (micro) is a basic "not too many frills" HMI. It comes in a 3 inch and a 6 inch version. The software for the micro version is free. I suggest you download it and give it a "test drive".

Whilst a HMI would be beneficial, based on your recent experience, a BCD thumbwheel switch would probably be better, and easier to get up and running to begin with, IMHO.

RussB,

Thank you. I was looking at the Red Lion site for something like that. The one you linked to would work very well!