RSLogix Counter and Timer Instruction

Jansi

Hi all!

Am quite new to Allen Bradley PLC programming and currently working on the automation of a pumping station. The project requires 2 pumps to be working on a 24 hour basis during 7 days which amounts up to 168 hours = 604800s which is far beyond the 32767 seconds of the AB TON.

Can I use a timer with a preset of 3600 and a time base 1.0 and then using the done bit of the timer to set up a counter with a preset of 168 to be able to achieve 604800s?

P.S I'm using RSLogix 500 to program a MicroLogix 1200

Last edited:
Hi all!

Am quite new to Allen Bradley PLC programming and currently working on the automation of a pumping station. The project requires 2 pumps to be working on a 24 hour basis during 7 days which amounts up to 168 hours = 604800s which is far beyond the 32767 seconds of the AB TON.

Can I use a timer with a preset of 3600 and a time base 1.0 and then using the done bit of the timer to set up a counter with a preset of 168 to be able to achieve 604800s?

P.S I'm using RSLogix 500 to program a MicroLogix 1200

Yes

Does your ML1200 have a "real time clock" ( RTC) ? Its an option. If so you can use it's value to do the timing.

Last edited:
Thank you SO MUCH! how do I go about implementing the above using the RTC, any reference manual? Does it have any advantage over the use of the timer and counter idea?

The RTC is a hardware option ( add on module)

The advantage is you can cause your event to happen at a time of day, if that is important to you. Other wise the timer/counter method will work just fine.
See links below for manuals for more info in the RTC use.

Look under function files in the instruction set manual.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1762-rm001_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1762-um001_-en-p.pdf