Slc500 - Modbus Protocol

robertopsilva

I´m trying to comunicate an SLC500 CPU 5/03 with an energy measurement device through Modbus protocol. Is there a way to do that without using a protocol converter such as DF-1/MODBUS or DH485/MODBUS? Maybe configuring the serial RS-232 Port (Channel 0) to ASCII protocol? Any help would be greatfull.

No

No, you're not going to get the data in through the SLC's serial port. I'm not even sure if Modbus and DF1/RS-232 are electrically compatible, never mind the protocol translations.

So you have two choices: an external protocol converter, like SST's XLinks, or an internal protocol converter, like ProSoft's Modbus modules.

I used a card once that plugged into the 500 rack. The only numbers I got is 3150MCM communications card. If your interested I could dig deeper. It converted modbus RTU to SLC50 registers I found it by- chance-by-golly on the internet last year. The customer screwed us so we send the card back and never got the chance to use it. The documentation was real good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

" Protocol jumping .... COOL STUFF"
------------------------------------------------------------

KEN - That is the Prosoft card. We use it in systems so that the SLC500 can give MODBUS commands to some Control Techniques servo controllers. It's a real PITA to set up using the M registers but once I got it going I never touch it. It does what it says, mostly automatically.

If you're already using DeviceNet, you can use a DeviceNet/Modbus converter for 300 to 500 bucks. It's cheaper and easier to use than a 3150-MCM and won't take up a slot.

It's my favorite way to interface with Modbus-based slave devices, though they haven't caught with everybody the way I like 'em.

WRC makes my favorite 1782-JDM. www.wrcakron.com