Technical Degree?

mvaughan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was just wondering how many of you have technical degrees? I am a Master Electrician that worked a lot in robotics programming and slid over into the PLC side of programming out of necessity. The programming is much more indepth o_O but similar...thank gosh for this forum!! How many have gotten here in a similar manner, not degreed. Thanks to all for the help here!!

Matt

diploma in microprocessor electronics which did not teach me PLC's or industrial electronics those I self taught

No degree here. I'm an Instrument Technician, process control & instrumentation in the oil and gas business. Retired now.
Heavy on the gas side.

BSEE, but not in this type of field. My "specialty" was design of digital systems (at the chip level). Got into industrial automation and am essentially self-taught.

No degree here. 20 years in the machine building industry. 15 years as a field service engineer. 5 of that for a custom machine builder. 10 years for a robot manufacturer. Started out as a machinist.

No degree, High School diploma only. Self taught in the following areas.
Electrical Contractor Unlimited class, licensed in NC & SC
Industrial Electrionics-Instrument Technician
1st Class (now General) FCC Radiotelephone license
Amateur Radio Extra Class license

For the last 25 years, mostly involved in progamming and troubleshooting automated electronic machinery.
Now retired.

Last edited:
Started out with electronics in the Army, when I got out I went for a technical degree in electronics. Got my first job as an electro-mechanical tech and let them pay for me to learn PLC's.

I attended a job training school as electrician. Than I learned some basic plc and electronics by myself. Of course I'm not an engineer.

I'm a master electricain and I have my journey mans ticket with the IBEW, I have a associate degree in electronics also. I just love learning.

A strange brew:

Bachelors in History (Philosophy and Psychology minors) - dabbled with amateur radio
US Air Force - Electronics
Repairing consumer electronics including Betamax VCRs (which were technically superior by the way)
Industrial control, wiring, intro to control electronics, microprocessors and PLCs
Then finally PLCs full time (all after Air Force self taught)

What is it with the Hams on here ? =)

in chronological order:

N8ITV
US navy Nuclear I&C tech/Reactor Operator
Fix my friends computers
BE Mech. Eng. Technology
Comptia Security+
EE position at a power plant.