Preventing MSG block from continuously sending

TimD

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I have an ML1100. I am using the MSG instruction to send email alarms. I do not have an ACK facility (no HMI, and not using the LCD/controller for it).

I want an alarm to send an email (which I have working), but only once per 6 hours or so.

I tried using a timer, but using the DN bit *as input to TON) of the MSG instruction won't work, because the DN bit stays on, and I see no reset facility.

Any Ideas? Thanks!

If the rung condition preceding the MSG instruction is false it will disable the MSG instruction (assuming you are using it in non-continuous mode). Not sure what a RES would accomplish.

OH, OK, I see where a timer could cut the MSG block off. Here is my cheap, simple "one Shot" message, prevents dozens from being sent. Just have to find a way to break the MSG instruction on DN by using a timer...

msg_dn.jpg

don't worry about the ER...
It does work and goes to DN on rung completion, I have to remove the ethernet cable from the PLC to send email :) (no switch onsite)

I do think that t4:0 would never be done, since the input to the timer is always true? My timer keeps resetting itself this way. This was part of my problem earlier.

I think that if you replace the T4/DN bit in rung #1 (in the previous post) with your B3:0/10, that it should work as you want. Rung 0 will not be needed. Curious as to why you need a timer for this?

B3:/10 triggers the instruction, the EN seals it in, then when it is Done, the DN bit drops it out.
:unsure:

I think that if you replace the T4/DN bit in rung #1 (in the previous post) with your B3:0/10, that it should work as you want. Rung 0 will not be needed. Curious as to why you need a timer for this?

B3:/10 triggers the instruction, the EN seals it in, then when it is Done, the DN bit drops it out.
:unsure:

If I don't, everytime the alarm condition goes falst to true, the recipient gets another alarm.

I am trying to prevent alarms, once initiated, for a duration set by a timer, say, 6 hours. That way the maintenance staff isn't bothered every 30 min

Not to worry, T4:0 will be done, resets itself and starts counting again. Look up what it does when the rung goes false, and under which circumstances it does so.

Thanks for all the help! Got It!

Please see attached. Now 8 hours can elapse until the alarm is allowed to re-generate. If the condition is not resolved within 8 hours, a new message is sent.

B3:0/9 "Status Email Toggle" is a runtime toggle bit for me to do testing, in real life, it would be the alarm bit.

ALM_Handler.jpg

Last edited: