Omron CP-series Memory Use: Steps?

gnieport

Greetings All,

Due to the MicroLogix supply shortage (>8 weeks and no end in sight), I am considering a migration from a ML1400 to an Omron CP1E. The CP1E data sheet rates the memory capacity in steps; is a step in Omron analogous to a word in Allen-Bradley?

Best regards,
Greg

Last edited:
A single instruction such as LD, AND, OR, Etc. are single step. Functions vary in the number of steps used.

Sorry for the delay in response, but I was learning about a new HMI we have.

The average usage is 1 step for simple instructions and up to 4 steps for functions. Special functions that you may create can get larger.View attachment Table 1.pdf

I would also consider the CP1L PLC.
CP1E and CP1L are similar in size, appearance, etc, but the CP1L has a number of features and instructions that the CP1E does not have, for a relatively small price difference.
Don't get me wrong on this. The CP1E is a great micro PLC, but the CP1L has more memory, more indirect addressing, comes with a battery for DM / HR memory areas (CP1E does not).
I am happy to help with your decision as you consider the switch.

I second PMCR's post.

The CP1L is a more flexible choice than the CP1E [Which as far as I know is not as yet available in N.America].

Just remember that the 14 and 20 I/O units can only be have one I/O expansion module and one peripheral module [Communications or LED Option Board] added to them.
The 30 thru 60 models are more versatile if you are looking for larger I/O counts and multiple serial communications capability.

You won't regret the change.

This site as well as MRPLC.COM have a wealth of posts and willing participants to help you with OMRON PLC questions.

Thank you all for the replies.

I opened the CP1 series flyer and found the CP1H, which with a couple of on-board analog points is a great match for my two applications. Throw on an Ethernet card for remote programming and a serial card for a Maple display and we're in business! :p

Regards,
Greg