Reading B10:90 as Word on SLC 500 PLC on ethernet

gokulpd

I am communicating with AB PLC through Ether net and able to read the N words. Want to read B as words but not able to read them as words. Able to read as Bits B10:90/1 to F.

Please let me know how to read them as Words. The matter is urgent

Ordinarily you can read a Word of a "B" type file with the same command as you can read a Word of an "N" type file.

B10:90 can be read in exactly the same way as N11:90. The only difference is the value of the field that designates the File Type in a "Typed Read" command. Integer files are type 0x89, and Binary files are of type 0x85.

What controller or software are you using ? Do you know which function code is being used ?

Thanks a lot Ken for quick answer.

I am connecting **** 4001 router ( www.****.biz) to ether net of SLC 500 CPU. and Reading Data from PLC. **** 4001 has driver for the PLC. When it reads B10:90 it demands the Bit address also and with bid address added it reads obviously that BIT only. But for the N type words it does not ask for bit address and hence reads that word completely.

I have never used SLC 500 or for that matter AB PLC at all. And hence not able to understand.

is the B and N etc are prefix to decide how to read the file? I may be sounding foolish.... but can I read B10:90 as N10:90 when I need the full word?

No, B10 is a separate file in the cpu from N10. It's actually not possible to have both of these, file 10 must be specified as either "B" or "N". It sounds like **** tech support would be a good place to start.

If it is possible to modify the PLC program you could simply add a rung of logic to copy file B10 to file Nxxx and then read Nxxx with the ****.