Power Flex 700 Drive

glpdrumerx

I am using a PowerFlex 700 A/B drive with a 10 hp inverter motor. when I run at slow speeds it runs fine but when I turn up the load on the motor the drives goes into current limit. The motor ohms at 1.2 per leg and open to ground. when I check current with a meter it reads 10 amps to 10. 5 each leg, but the drive shows the motor pulling 13 amps. Anybody had any experience with these drives to know if this is a normal readout for the drive.

Unfortunately a standard meter's current readings will not be accurate because the VFD's output is not a sine wave. But, what is the motor's FLA off the name plate? It should be around 14ish. Has the drives parameters that describe the motor been setup to match the drive's nameplate?

your more accurate to goto the diplay amp readings on the drive itself the PWM as mentioned above will cause DMM's even ones that are true RMS to read higher than actual.

You say "inverter motor". What do you mean? Is this a motor that is designed to cool properly at low speeds? How low?

Unless you tell the drive via the parameters that this is anything but a shaft-fan cooled motor, it will derate the motor output as it slows down and try to protect it from overheating.

Check thru your parameters first for correct motor nameplate information being entered, and, second, that your software overload protection is configured to the type of motor you have.

And, as a general rule, never try to measure anything on the motor leads. It is nearly impossible to get accurate readings no matter how much you spend for a meter. Believe the keypad display, instead.

By inverter duty motor, I mean: does it simply have special insulation, is it overframed so it can run slower without overheating, does it have an auxiliary blower so it can run down to zero speed, does it have internal klixon switches, or is it nameplated to go up to 120hz. All of these affect how you set up the software overload protection if you want to do it right. And, no, the autotune does not do the overload setup. You have to do that separately.