Working from Home (PLC Programming)

Earning money, no matter what the venue, is finding someone willing to pay for services you are willing to offer.

So how do you find someone willing to pay?
  1. Call anyone who has a factory that may or may not (yet) have PLCs. This will take many, many phone calls, and is called "cold-calling".
  2. Find someone who will make the phone calls for you, and give them a cut. These people are called "salesmen".
  3. Usually, salesmen do it the other way, and advertise that they can supply PLC programmers, then find you and give you a cut. These people are called "headhunters".
  4. Since you claim "extensive experience", you must have worked with lots of people. Call them. Ask if they know of someone who might need your services. Call them, and repeat. This is called "networking".

You can also teach, write books (Phil Melore, the administrator of this site can tell you just how phenomenonally wealthy the latter will make you), or work for someone (an integrator/engineering firm) else who will let you work out of the home.

The trick, as Allen says, is to find somebody who wants to use what you know how to do more than they want their money!

If you want to do it "moonlighting" while you maintain a regular job, just tell everyone you know that you are offering services. Just make sure that you are not in direct competition with your employer.

If you want to do this full time as a living, it is more complicated. I don't know about India, but in the US starting a business is easy. For a sole proprietor, you simply say "I am now doing business as Riyajahamad Programming Service" and it's done. However, you are then personally liable for any business expenses and liabilities, so you probably want to look into some sort of limited liability structure to cut down on your exposure.

The first step is to talk to someone you know in a related field, or even a potential competitor, who has successfully gone off on their own. Find out the going rates, and network - talk to all potential clients.

Good Luuck.

I work for myself and program from home quite reguarly. But, no one just says 'please program this for me'. I have to go to site and spend many hours discussing the project beforehand. I have to have pages and pages of notes about what the program should do. I have to have a written contract outlining what will be included and what will not. (The 'will not' being more important than the 'will')
I have to give a price for all this work and have it accepted, then and only then can I program from home.
There is something very nice about getting out of bed, putting on my dressing gown, laptop on my 'laptop' , cup of tea by my side and programming.

Virtual room office it work run?

Yours from American North, make programs, maintenance, the distance remote?

I think, that alternative the good in winter

I do about 25% of my programming work in remote connexion from home and 50% of the whole programming at home.

First you have to sell, built, install and commision the darn machine THEN you can hook to it from home.

I doubt very much that you could just hook up to other peoples program remotly and "SEE" the system. You need a hands-on first.

Imagine the safety issue.

About 6 month ago I was connected to a system, making minor changes. The customer was telling me about what he wants it to do when I said:

-"OK, Fire it up and lets see how bad I was."

He whent on to tell me:

-"How should I know, I'm in my car about 30 minutes from the plant."

He had hooked the modem the night before and was talking about the machine has if he where in front of it with his cell phone. banghead

Know I always use the sound-alarm for proof of there presence IN FRONT OF THE MACHINE before I make any changes. When the buzzer sounds, IF I don't hear it through there cell phone I disconnect.

Pierre said:
Know I always use the sound-alarm for proof of there presence IN FRONT OF THE MACHINE before I make any changes. When the buzzer sounds, IF I don't hear it through there cell phone I disconnect.

I hope you're kind enough to turn OFF that incessant buzzer before you disconnect!... :D

beerchug

-Eric

Good topic

Hi All,
Interesting topic selected, I mean a topic use anybody to make some extra money. May be Riyajahamad want different qualities and sources to get bussiness.