coping files in Allen bradley 5/03

dwcat

I'm wanting to copy the input value of several thermocouple NT8 modules into a floating or interger file to save having to move each input value one at a time with a move statement. Could someone assist with the best way to do this with the least amount of programming. I have 12 thermocouple modules, 8 channels each and need to get the values in a data file that I can tag wonderware to and view.

thanks in advance
Daymond

Greetings Daymond and welcome to the forum.

You can just use the COP instruction if you are copying to integer files. You will still need to use one COP per input module but then you can copy all 8 inputs to consecutive integers.

If you want to move the data to a float file then you will have to use the MOV instruction (or other Math instruction) to move them one at a time as the input words from the NT8 module is an integer and the COP does not change the data type.

Is there some reason why you cannot tag wonderware directly to the input image word, eg I:2.0?

A031610.JPG

Last edited:
I thought I could use a COP instruction but I wasn't sure about how that addressing would be. Would moving say I:1.0 which is one TC input point, only take up one interger point such as N7:1 or would the whole I:1.0 word take up 15 interger points such as N7:0 - N7:15 just to get the reading on the one input data point? I realize that I'm very confused and maybe I should just try it and see what it allows me to do.

Thanks again.
Daymond

Thanks Alaric. I just realized what you meant. for some reason It didn't show the image the first time I looked at you post and after posting agin the image came up and I think I understand it now. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Daymond

COP #I:1.0 #N10:0 8 will copy I:1.0 to N10:0, I:1.1 to N10:1, I:1.2 to N10:2.... I:1.7 to N10:7. It will move all 8 integer input words to 8 consecutive integers. Notice the # in the address, this designates indexed address and is an important part of making sure that file instructions work. HTH.

(I added the image later for clarity, which is why you probably didn't see it the first time)