UIltra 3000 2098-DSD-005 help!

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Gentlemen,
I have been trying to study and learn the ultra 3000 servo controller for the past three months, and put in many hours at it with small results.
The Allen Bradley Servo Controller that I’m using is Ultra 3000 2098-DSD-005. From many literatures that I have read I understand the set up and configuration in ultra ware software (which is free to download from Rockwell website and I paid 75$ to get it). I have made several successful attempts to control the motor (TL type) thru preset velocity inputs. What I need to find out is how to control the motor to stop in a certain position with an X amount of pulses? From my understanding this would require me to use a PLC and some type of axis module in order to do this.
Currently I have been learning PLC for about two years and do have an SLC 5/05 platform that i could possibly use for this application. Can anyone point me in the right direction from here, as far as what module should I use for the SLC platform and how to set up command in order to control the position of the motor?
Thank You again for all your help and please let me know if I missed out on any information that are a must have in order to figure this out.

The functionality of the basic Ultra 3000 drive is very limited without an external controller, as you have discovered. For simple applications, I would suggest using the indexing version of the drive (part number ends in X). This would allow you to set up motion profiles in Ultraware, then execute them with digital I/O from the PLC. To see how this works, just create an offline 2098-DSD-005X drive in Ultraware and look at the Indexing window.

If you need to update motion parameters on-the-fly, you could use an external controller like the SLC motion module, 1746-HSRV.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um613_-en-p.pdf

If you don't require high-speed changes, however, I would recommend still using the indexing drive and updating the motion parameters through the serial interface. There are devices available that will interface between a PLC and the Ultra 3000 serial port to accomplish this (Red Lion G3/Datastation comes to mind). There is also a Devicenet version of the Ultra 3000 available.

Thanks kolyur. But how whould i interface and write commands to the Ultra 3000 listed above with the 1746-HSRV card, could this be even possible.

Thanks kolyur. But how whould i interface and write commands to the Ultra 3000 listed above with the 1746-HSRV card, could this be even possible.
The 1746-hsrv card is your interface to the drive.
You will have to configure the card with Logixand write plc code to control your ultra drive.
If you download the manual for the hsrv card you'll find a lot of info to get you started.