FIFE Line Guide sensor interfaced with plc

not4u2c

I'm looking at a FIFE SE-46A line guide which, according to FIFE, will give a 0-10ma signal output depending on where the line is currently located in the entire bandwith of the sensor. I would like to interface this sensor with a micrologix plc which will be used to control two outputs moving a hydraulic cyclinder left or right, based on the sensor's feedback. I'm trying to figure out how will I know if the line is to the left or to the right of the sensor??? What signal will I get? Does a line on dead center mean 5ma?

Going back to my brief time in tissue manuf. FIFE web-guides were used.

The web-guide, unpowered, would be offset to approx 5 degrees (allowing the web to track off-center). The web is put through the web-guide rollers with a web-edge below the sensor. If the web covers the sensor fully then a hydraulic cylinder will correct the alignment by driving the web-guide assembly towards the 0 deg. Depending on how much of the sensor is covered determines how much correction the hydraulic cyl. imparts on the web-guide assembly. If the sensor is totally uncovered the hydraulic cyl. allows the assembly to return to the initial 5 deg. offset. Obviously this is continuous control so adjustment will occur... erm... well, continuously!

http://www.fife-europe.co.uk/pdf/SE-46ATruLine_GB.pdf

http://www.maxcessintl.com/sites/default/files/documents/Fife_GuideOperation_0-104.PDF

Last edited: