1747-sn

GASSER

Hi all,

I've a question regarding,1747-SN Remote I/O scanner ; can this scanner scan an analog input?or it's only for digital I/O?

and by the way how can i determine the addresses assigned for this Scanner ?

I already have SLC 5/04 CPU and this scanner ,Old Flow meter connected to it.and I want to exchange this flow meter with a new one with analog output.What confuses me is when i uploaded the code(working one), I found no conversion from analog to digital,so i expected that it scans analog at same time MOV COP instructions are used .

regards

Gasser

The scanner can scan Digital and Analog I/O.

The address will be determined by the Slot number in the Rack.
i.e. if it is in Slot 1, all addresses will begin with 1.

The conversion will be done in the Analog Card, and will be read as a number. Some of the new Analog Cards have built in scaling. In the previous cards, you had to use math or a scaling instruction to convert the raw data to an appropriate range.

Stu.....

Installation Manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in060_-en-p.pdf

User Manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um013_-en-p.pdf

With SLC RIO and analog, there are going to be block transfers involved. if you SLC has old firmware, (before the BT instructions were added to the instruction set) those block transfers are done the hard way by manipulating data in the M0/M1 files of the scanner.

Zip and post the program if you're allowed, or at least tell us the part number of your analog input card, and how it is positioned in the remote rack.

I am assuming the flowmeter is connected to remote i/o cards and is not a RIO adapter itself...I have not seen one that was directly connected to the "blue hose" but if that's what you have, then it changes everything, so be sure to let us know.

Paul

Dear Sthompson,
Thank you very much, I know analog cards do the conversion,i only wondered about if scanner scans digital I/O as manual said, how this can be read as an analog value in the code.But know as you said that it can scan analog also the code is now clear.

Thanks

Dear Paul,
Thank you
I will get the order number of the Card, and I will let you know the full picture ,Sunday when i get back to work
Thanks

With SLC RIO and analog, there are going to be block transfers involved. if you SLC has old firmware, (before the BT instructions were added to the instruction set) those block transfers are done the hard way by manipulating data in the M0/M1 files of the scanner.

Zip and post the program if you're allowed, or at least tell us the part number of your analog input card, and how it is positioned in the remote rack.

I am assuming the flowmeter is connected to remote i/o cards and is not a RIO adapter itself...I have not seen one that was directly connected to the "blue hose" but if that's what you have, then it changes everything, so be sure to let us know.

Paul

Hi Paul:

It would have to be real old, because I have been using the 500 family for years, and never had to use a BT/BW for Analogs.

I have also never seen a Flow Meter connected directly to an RIO Network, but I suppose in theory it would be possible.

Stu....

Certain analog SLC cards and flex I/O analog in remote racks hanging off of the 1747-SN have always required M0/M1 file manipulation. The addition of newer firmware with the BTR and BTW instructions just automates that headache and makes the instruction very similar to the BT instructions in a PLC-5. I think the BT instructions have been around in the SLC for ten years or less...

So maybe you never did remote analog with a SLC scanner? Or you had cards that used the I/O image only?

I have seen a lot of RIO devices, but they are going the way of the dinosaur. We have quotes from Metler Toledo for a RIO card for an inline case checkweigher. It's gonna cost ten grand to get that scale on RIO for the tech to install the hardware and drivers and stay through the startup the next day.

I want to roll my own checkweigher with a Compactlogix, Hardy instruments load cell card and a Red Lion G306K, but I can guarantee that I can pull that off in a two day shutdown...There is never enough time to fully plan these sudden machine shuffles we go through...okay back on subject...

RIO was available for a lot of older drives and some HMIs, along with DH+. My first EZ TOuch was a DH+ version, but the a/b licensing was a killer. I have RIO on my Fanuc Robots, and I have seen RIO scales, display devices (marquees), but I have never seen it as a comm option on a flowmeter either.

What did you use?

I have always read them directly, but now that I think about it, I can't remember if I have ever actually had an Analog Card in a remote rack using RIO on the SLC500 Line. I have in the PLC5, and did use BTR/BTW for those. It appears that I may have mispoken. My apologies if it caused any confusion.

Stu.....

Good Day everybody,
So sorry for being so late to get the data .The remote I/O scanner has the following configuration :-
2 panels each contains :
0- Remote I/O adapter.
1- 16 point discrete inputs.
2- 8 point relay output.
3- 8 point relay output.
4- 4 Point analog input.
this configuration is according to the cards positions as mounted. My flow transmitter is connected to 2nd channel on the analog card,on the second remote I/O panel.

the 1747-sn is configured as follow:
Rack 0 : Full rack
Rack 1 : Full rack
Rack 0 : Full rack
scanned input words :32

The old transmitter based on differential pressure then it's converted to equivalent flow.

if i to change this transmitter with mass flow meter. I want to know the address of this channel according to previous data.

Thanks

Dear Gasser,
I can't understand where is your problem exactly? Any way ; the quarter rack = 2 words, half rack = 4words ... Full rack =8 words, hence if your card position as you described and your configuration, Full rack it shall cover the first rack totally then your card is covered in next logical rack.
look for a piece of code like that :
COP instruction with
source #M1:1.xx
Dest # N y:Z
Length # 4 twice on for the first logical rack and one for the second ... something like that.

I'm from Siemens world and not really an expert in AB but i tried my best. If something wrong here let our experts here let us know.

Regards