holy crud batman! We have an instruction set from hell!

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
Crimson 3.0
FUNCTION REFERENCE .1
ABS(VALUE) 2
ACOS(VALUE) . 3
ALARMACCEPTALL() . 4
ASIN(VALUE) . 5
ATAN(VALUE) . 6
ATAN2(A, B) . 7
BEEP(FREQ, PERIOD) . 8
CANGOTONEXT() . 9
CANGOTOPREVIOUS() .10
CLEAREVENTS() 11
CLOSEFILE(FILE).12
COLBLEND(DATA, MIN, MAX, COL1, COL2) 13
COLFLASH(FREQ, COL1, COL2) .14
COLGETBLUE(COL) .15
COLGETGREEN(COL) 16
COLGETRED(COL) 17
COLGETRGB(R,G,B) 18
COLPICK2(PICK, COL1, COL2) 19
COMMITANDRESET() .20
COMPACTFLASHEJECT() .21
COMPACTFLASHSTATUS() 22
CONTROLDEVICE(DEVICE, ENABLE) 23
COPY(DEST, SRC, COUNT) .24
COS(THETA) .25
CREATEDIRECTORY(NAME) .26
CREATEFILE(NAME) .27
DATATOTEXT(DATA, LIMIT) 28
DATE(Y, M, D) .29
DECTOTEXT(DATA, SIGNED, BEFORE, AFTER, LEADING, GROUP) .30
DEG2RAD(THETA) 31
DELETEDIRECTORY(NAME) .32
DELETEFILE(FILE) 33
DEVCTRL(DEVICE, FUNCTION, DATA) .34
DISABLEDEVICE(DEVICE).35
DISPOFF() 36
DISPON() .37
DRVCTRL(PORT, FUNCTION, DATA OR VALUE???) .38
TABLE OF CONTENTS CRIMSON 3 REFERENCE MANUAL
PAGE II http://www.redlion.net/g3
EMPTYWRITEQUEUE (DEV) 39
ENABLEDEVICE(DEVICE) . 40
ENDBATCH() 41
EXP(VALUE) . 42
EXP10(VALUE) . 43
FILL(ELEMENT, DATA, COUNT) . 44
FIND(STRING,CHAR,SKIP) . 45
FINDFILEFIRST(DIR) . 46
FINDFILENEXT() . 47
FINDTAGINDEX(LABEL) . 48
FLASH(FREQ) . 49
FORMATCOMPACTFLASH() . 50
FTPGETFILE(SERVER, LOC, REM, DELETE) 51
FTPPUTFILE(SERVER, LOC, REM, DELETE) . 52
GETALARMTAG(INDEX) . 53
GETBATCH() 54
GETCAMERADATA(PORT, CAMERA, PARAM) . 55
GETDATE (TIME) AND FAMILY 56
GETDISKFREEBYTES(DRIVE) . 57
GETDISKFREEPERCENT(DRIVE) . 58
GETDISKSIZEBYTES(DRIVE) . 59
GETFORMATTEDTAG(INDEX) . 60
GETINTERFACESTATUS(PORT) . 61
GETINTTAG(INDEX) 62
GETLASTEVENTTIME(ALL) . 63
GETLASTEVENTTIME(ALL) . 64
GETLASTEVENTTYPE(ALL) . 65
GETMONTHDAYS(Y, M) . 66
GETNETGATE(PORT) . 67
GETNETID(PORT) . 68
GETNETIP(PORT) 69
GETNETMASK(PORT) . 70
GETNOW() . 71
GETNOWDATE() . 72
GETNOWTIME() . 73
GETPORTCONFIG(PORT, PARAM) . 74
GETREALTAG(INDEX) . 75
GETSTRINGTAG(INDEX) . 76
GETTAGLABEL(INDEX) 77
GETUPDOWNDATA(DATA, LIMIT) . 78
GETUPDOWNSTEP(DATA, LIMIT) . 79
TABLE OF CONTENTS
REVISION 0.12 PAGE III
GOTONEXT() 80
GOTOPAGE(NAME) .81
GOTOPREVIOUS() 82
HASACCESS (RIGHTS) .83
HIDEPOPUP() .84
INTTOTEXT(DATA, RADIX, COUNT) 85
ISDEVICEONLINE(DEVICE) .86
ISLOGGINGACTIVE() 87
ISWRITEQUEUEEMPTY(DEV) .88
LEFT(STRING, COUNT) .89
LEN(STRING) 90
LOADCAMERASETUP(PORT, CAMERA, INDEX, FILE) 91
LOG(VALUE) .92
LOG10(VALUE) .93
LOGCOMMENT(LOG, TEXT) .94
LOGSAVE()95
MAKEFLOAT(VALUE) 96
MAKEINT(VALUE) .97
MAX(A, B) .98
MEAN(ELEMENT, COUNT) .99
MID(STRING, POS, COUNT) . 100
MIN(A, B) . 101
MULDIV(A, B, C) 102
MUTESIREN() 103
NEWBATCH(NAME) 104
NOP() . 105
OPENFILE(NAME, MODE) . 106
PI() 107
PLAYRTTTL(TUNE) . 108
POPDEV(ELEMENT, COUNT) . 109
PORTCLOSE(PORT) 110
PORTGETCTS(PORT) 111
PORTINPUT(PORT, START, END, TIMEOUT, LENGTH) . 112
PORTPRINT(PORT, STRING) . 113
PORTREAD(PORT, PERIOD) . 114
PORTSETRTS(PORT, STATE) 115
PORTWRITE(PORT, DATA) 116
POSTKEY(CODE, TRANSITION) . 117
POWER(VALUE, POWER) 118
PRINTSCREENTOFILE(PATH, NAME, RES) 119
RAD2DEG(THETA) . 120
TABLE OF CONTENTS CRIMSON 3 REFERENCE MANUAL
PAGE IV http://www.redlion.net/g3
RANDOM(RANGE) . 121
READDATA(DATA, COUNT) 122
READFILE(FILE, CHARS) 123
READFILELINE(FILE) . 124
RENAMEFILE(HANDLE, NAME) . 125
RIGHT(STRING, COUNT) 126
SAVECAMERASETUP(PORT, CAMERA, INDEX, FILE) . 127
SCALE(DATA, R1, R2, E1, E2) . 128
SENDFILE(RCPT, FILE) . 129
SENDMAIL(RCPT, SUBJECT, BODY) . 130
SET(TAG, VALUE) . 131
SETINTTAG(INDEX, VALUE) . 132
SETLANGUAGE(CODE) 133
SETNETCONFIG(PORT, ADDR, MASK, GATE) 134
SETNOW(TIME) . 135
SETPORTCONFIG(PORT, PARAM, VALUE) . 136
SETREALTAG(INDEX, VALUE) 137
SGN(VALUE) . 138
SHOWMENU(NAME) . 139
SHOWPOPUP(NAME) . 140
SIN(THETA) 141
SIRENON() . 142
SLEEP(PERIOD) . 143
SQRT(VALUE) . 144
STDDEV(ELEMENT, COUNT) . 145
STOPSYSTEM() . 146
STRIP(TEXT, TARGET) 147
SUM(ELEMENT, COUNT) 148
TAN(THETA) 149
TESTACCESS(RIGHTS, PROMPT) 150
TEXTTOADDR(ADDR) 151
TEXTTOFLOAT(STRING) 152
TEXTTOINT(STRING, RADIX) 153
TIME(H, M, S) 154
USECAMERASETUP(PORT, CAMERA, INDEX) . 155
USERLOGOFF() . 156
USERLOGON() . 157
WAITDATA(DATA, COUNT, TIME) . 158
WRITEFILE(FILE, TEXT) 159
WRITEFILELINE(FILE, TEXT) 160

Seems to install and run fine on my Vista 64 Bit Home Premium laptop, and I am about to get snowed in with the READMEFIRST file I just stumbled onto...

Maybe spring will come Tuesday....

If my wifi antenna doesn't blow off the hill maybe I will be able to post some "widgets" or something...10-12 inches of snow coming between now and Sunday night....darn global warming...

PieAce

Last edited:
They got those covered too.

I meant from hell in the good kick-butt kind of way. You don't see this much potential in most HMI platforms, and certainly not for free... The only other one that might compare would be unitronics.

Crimson 3.0 User Manual said:
MANIPULATING BITS
Crimson also provides operators to perform operations that do not treat integers as numeric
values, but instead as sequences of bits. These operators are known as bitwise operators.AND, OR AND XOR
These three bitwise operators each produce a result in which each bit is defined to be equal to the corresponding bits in the values on the operator’s left-hand and right-hand sides,
combined using a specific truth-table…
OPERATOR PRIORITY EXAMPLE
Bitwise AND Group 8 Data & Mask
Bitwise OR Group 9 Data | Mask
Bitwise XOR Group 10 Data ^ Mask
The table below shows the associated truth tables…
A B A & B A | B A ^ B
0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 1 1
1 0 0 1 1
1 1 1 1 0
SHIFT OPERATORS
Crimson also provides operators to shift an integer n bits to the left or right…
Shift Left Group 5 Data << 2
Shift Right Group 5 Data >> 2
Each example shifts Data two bits in the specified direction.
BITWISE NOT
Finally, Crimson provides a bitwise NOT operator to invert the sense of the bits in a value…
Bitwise NOT Group 2 ~Mask
This example produces a value where every bit is equal to the opposite of its value in Mask.

Last edited:
> It lacks bitwise AND OR XOR NOT SHR SHL ROR and ROL.

You get the first six from the C scripting, so they don't need a specific function. We are indeed missing ROR and ROL, but I can't say anyone has every asked for them! :) Also, the list that Okie posted is actually just the list of what's in the refference guide, and that is woefully out of date. There's way more stuff than that...

Mike, be sure to let us know when those pdfs are upgraded. The manuals are very good as they are if they are treated like hard copy and read front to back.

It might be best to create a separate document to be linked to the context sensitive help from C3, and have within it, links and cross-referencing. Some of the functions have no help references.

I read the whole function reference as-is last night skimming over the functions I am already familiar with, and today I am halfway through the user manual.

Note that this was after creating my first very successful conversion of a PB32 program.

This speaks very well for your stuff. I was able to download the software and create a functional program that did everything the old one did in about four hours.

I only lacked the alarm history, but already had added several nice features that the PV standard is incapable of like trending and colored animated buttons. Then I had to install the thing in an emergency. I did this while an RA guy and our distributor were visiting to give the results of a failure analysis for our rash of failed PV300 micros. (The cause is moisture/condensation/corrosion).

The cutout for the PV300 is narrower, but the G304K cutout only means cutting the sides and just wider than the screw holes used by the PV300 micro, so it's a perfect upgrade.

Now that I have read the manuals, which I simply had no time to do beforehand, WOW. I can't wait to start using the real power in there and build my own list boxes, user security schemes, automatic event file archiving...man...my wheels are turning, and the sky's the limit.

How could the product made better?

1. Just get ahold of one of those conformal coating companies and I'd be glad to provide a proving ground, or let me break the seal and keep the warranty. A waterproof Red Lion...(Call it the Red Lion "Blue" and get it to an IP69K rating)...would be worth its weight in gold to us as one of McDonald's largest meat products suppliers.

2. Get the manuals up to date.
3. Sell a molded channel splitter for the G304K. Make one port stick straight out the back, and make it fit as snug as possible against the bottom of the G304K. Then the other port might need to be offered as both right hand and left hand, or perhaps both ports could be at 45 degrees...I need to sketch my concepts for you...

I like DB9 better than the RJ11 jack, but if you had both as accessories, it would be a great time saver. And use gold plated pins for sure. I had to install mine with a hand made cable but we were out of right angle hoods, so those are on order but the cable is tied in place to protect it for now (no hood). The original cutout was only an inch above a nice bundle of wires that connect the hardwired push and selectors on the panel door.

Alright, time to get these dogs out in the snow....
Paul

Paul

Last edited:
How could the product made better?

3a. How about some sort of pass through.... but it would be nice to plug into the Red Lion (304k) and be able to program the Micrologix, its not a problem when using a ML with more then one port or another PLC with more then one port but its a pain to plug and unplug

4. I/O: if you could add a few I/O then with the instruction list that Paul pointed out above there would not be the need for a PLC for a lot of the applications.... I know its a dream OR you could add an expansion port that would fit the 1762-xxx (MicroLogix 1100/1400) line we could just start adding I/O and you can just do this on the larger ones you don't have to do it on the K series :)

Thanks I will be waiting :D

GIT
On the G3 stuff that can talk TCP IP as a master you can talk to I/O. I am looking at writing some C to replace most of my Proface installation where I control I/O. I have dropped a 1100 in to 2 of them so far and moved the logic to the plc and used the HMI ans that just a HMI.

I can't even spell C, so any type of Structured programming put me outside my comfort zone. ProFace has ladder built-in, so I was drawn to that.

I guess I will have to pick up C for Dummies (me).

This would work for me....

We would need a optional cable so the I/O could be on the din rail and then the HMI could be on the door :)

And yes Jeff... I would like to use that book once you are done :cool:

dfsdafsf.JPG

I know the MLX family uses Master / Slave for the I/O bus. I would ASSuME that AB uses thier own language.
Can the K family be a Modbus master? If so then they could be a I/O master.
I will send it your way.

Last edited:
1. Just get ahold of one of those conformal coating companies and I'd be glad to provide a proving ground, or let me break the seal and keep the warranty. A waterproof Red Lion...(Call it the Red Lion "Blue" and get it to an IP69K rating)...would be worth its weight in gold to us as one of McDonald's largest meat products suppliers.
Paul
I was asked to quote a IP69K rated HMI 2 weeks ago. Is IP69K direct steam cleaned? Do you know of any HMI that is?

Back on topic and being picky

Actually, Paul and I screwed up and our terminology isn't quite right. Instructions are machine codes. The list that Paul showed is a list of built in functions. Operators are things like + - * / << >> if then else do while until | ^ % & etc.

Built in functions are usually in a library and are accessed using a function call. Operators are compiled down to machine code directly except for on crippled CPUs were a multipy or divide are implmented as a function call because there isn't a multiply or divide instruction.

Mike, be sure to let us know when those pdfs are upgraded. The manuals are very good as they are if they are treated like hard copy and read front to back.
We're updating the main manual right now. The reference guide comes after that. It might be best to create a separate document to be linked to the context sensitive help from C3, and have within it, links and cross-referencing. Some of the functions have no help references.

The next user guide update is being checked right now, and then we need to add the addendum for the Modular Controller. The function reference is next to update, and we'll keep the mechanism whereby you can open a particular function. I have to say Acrobat is useless in terms of its command line options and the ability to control what it displays. Sigh. Perhaps we should have gone with HTML Help instead.

Noted again. I've spoken already to the Product Manager about it, and our concern is protected the display module. We are confident about our own electronics; it's just the other stuff in there and the connectors that worry us.

3. Sell a molded channel splitter for the G304K. Make one port stick straight out the back, and make it fit as snug as possible against the bottom of the G304K. Then the other port might need to be offered as both right hand and left hand, or perhaps both ports could be at 45 degrees...I need to sketch my concepts for you... I like DB9 better than the RJ11 jack, but if you had both as accessories, it would be a great time saver. And use gold plated pins for sure. I had to install mine with a hand made cable but we were out of right angle hoods, so those are on order but the cable is tied in place to protect it for now (no hood). The original cutout was only an inch above a nice bundle of wires that connect the hardwired push and selectors on the panel door.

Note again. But tricky.