Red lion G310 to Unidrive comms on modbus

wazzajnr

Hi all,

Been trying to set up a unidrive SM-Apps module to talk to a G310 via modbus.
I've got the screen set up as modbus master, cabling has been checked many times. Port settings in screen and drives module have been checked. I even tried connecting to the drive directly via the front programming port but no luck.
Anyone have any experience with this combo of screen and drive who could suggest what to look for??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Regards

Paul

I received an email from Roger about this this morning. I suspect that the problem is the Ping Holding Register, which is located on the Extended tab of PLC1. It is currently set to 1, so we will try to read a single holding register (4(0)0001), if we do not get a response, we will not try to read anything else. I would set that to 0, which disables the ping, after which, assuming your cabling, port settings, and drop number are correct, you should have communications.

Regards,
Dan

Dan,

We have tried that this morning but it still isn't working.
We have used this with Proface screens before (Customer specified these) with no problem.
We would much rather use your screens as we have much better experience with them and also we have already used this screen for a machine using an S7-200 so it's an easy migrate for us.

I take it the drop number is the address?

Regards

Paul

Correct, the Drop Number is the address of the device that you want to talk to. Assuming that your tag is mapped correctly, it could be a wiring issue. Since there is no standard terminology for RS485 communications, and you are using 4-wire, there are 8 possible wiring combinations. I have dug through my emails, but I am not finding any wiring information between us and a Unidrive. If you had a block diagram (showing which pins gets pulled up and which ones get pulled down) I coudl give you a good idea of the wiring.

Regards,
Dan

Dan, We are wired as follows:-

Red Lion G310--------------------SM-Apps Module

Pin 1 TX-ve----------------------Pin 2 RX-ve
Pin 2 TX+ve----------------------Pin 3 RX+ve
Pin 3 RX+ve----------------------Pin 5 TX+ve
Pin 4 RX-ve----------------------Pin 4 TX-ve
Pin 6 Common---------------------Pin 1 0v

I haven't got any block diagrams but i have attached the wiring diag from the SM-Apps module user manual.
We have tried with and without terminating resistors.
One other point is that we are using a cat5 patch lead with one end cut off to go into the SM-Apps module. Could the impedance of cat5 cable have an effect?

Thanks

Paul

SM-Apps Modbus wiring.jpg

Based on their naming conventions, I would try swapping the As (pulled down to common, so I would call is -) and Bs (pulled up to 5V, so I would call that +):

G3 SM
1 3
2 2
3 4
4 5
6 1

Regards,
Dan

I guess the first thing would be to double check how you are viewing our pin numbers. I have attached a drawing of the port, as it appears on the unit itself.

The next thing to try would be to swap the Tx and Rx lines. Some devices (like ours) are labeled for what they are, while others (Yaskawa, at least on some products) are labeled for what you are supposed to connect to them.

Regards,
Dan

485 Port.jpg

Dan,

Tried swapping tx and rx lines. In fact, i think i've now exhausted every possible combination of wiring. I've also tried it as a 2 wire system but to no avail!!

Regards

Paul

Have you tried the 4 different wiring methods after you disabled the ping register?

I am not trying to disown this, but I do know that someone at Control Techniques as connected one of our HMIs to a UniDrive. I am unable to find any emails to that point, but giving them a call may be worth a shot.

Regards,
Dan

Yes, all tests have been done with the ping register disabled.
I'll try giving CT a ring see if it brings anything but as i said, we have used these with other screens with no probs so i suspect it's something to do with how RL handle the modbus comms.
Did you see my Q about the cat5 cable? could this have anything to do with it. I know the impedance makes a difference on a network as i have made the mistake of not using pairs of twists for each channel and was told that the poor comms was because the impedance was incorrect as a result.

Cheers

Paul

CAT5 should not be a problem, I use that 90% of the time as well.

One other thing I seem to remember about the CT Modbus was that sometimes I needed to disable the frame validation, as the CRC coming back from teh device was incorrect.

Regards,
Dan

mjoubert,

Can i ask if you had the ping register set to zero? also how were your tags mapped? was it using mm.pp*100+16384 or did you just enter (4)mmpp?
I have tried ours both ways including connecting directly to the drive via the rj45 port on the front. I have tried every wiring combination know to man but still nothing. Beginning to think we may have a duff comms port on the screen??

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Paul