NET ENI configuration via USB to Ethernet Converter

asmaint2

Supporting Member
I am trying to learn the ins and outs of configuring a NET ENI series D for a project where I will be connecting it to a Micrologix 1500. I have my PC connected to the ENI via a USB to Ethernet adapter. I have successfully changed the connected and changed the IP address of the ENI using the Com Port Redirector and the ENI config utility. The problem is that when using the Port redirector I don't know for sure what port to set up. I can't see, atleast in the device manager which port the NIC is assigned to. On my successful try I simply set several of the available ports to the IP addresses I knew was assigned, and by shear luck connected using one of them. I went back to the redirector and changed the IP address I want to look for, but after rebooting, like it asks me to do, I can't connect to the ENI. I know the address changed because I can see it using the Linx IP driver. How do you know what port to redirect? I can use the serial port with no problem. I am using XP.

you can use any unused port in your laptop to redirect to the IP address. You should assign a permanent IP address to your laptop and redirect any unused comport to the IP address, that way when you reference that unused comport it will be redirected automatically to the IP address that you configured for your laptop. In my case i redirected com21 and com22 to be redirected to the IP address of my laptop. May sure that you do not redirect the comport that you are using for other tasks like programming of a plc. I always reserve COM1 and COM2.