tlibby

troylibby

Hello all i have setup a few LANs with the PLC5/40 and the SLC5/05. These have been all stand alone networks with the computer at one ip addr and the plc at another addr say 10.135.133.40 for the pc and 10.135.133.50 for the plc.This has always worked well. i tried to comm with a plc over the company network (at a remote plant)in the same way as stated above and have had no results. Can someone explain why i cant make it work with rslinx clasic lite.I am confident in the ip addr:beerchug:eek:f the plc i wish to comm with. Should this not work?

You are going to need more information about the network you are using. Usually when plants are connected remotely there are firewalls and routers in the network. You will need to talk to the network administrator about access to ports required by RSLinx, and about what network addresses are allowed to be used. If you just connected your devices to your company network without talking to the administrator you might find that he will not be happy. Process control people and IT/IS people always seemed to have a tenuous relationship. You should go to the Rockwell automation knowledge base to get a list of ports that need to be opened on remote routers.

one you need to make sure your subnet on the laptop is correct to the PLC's second you have to configure your laptop to use a similar or close to IP address. Next is the routing through the data switches etc where the network administer got mentioned. so for example set your network card to IP 10.135.133.xxx

Last edited: