Crimson 3.0 questions...

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am done reading now and ready to start making widgets!

It has been 15 years since I used C, so I have a programming question for Crimson, which is very similar.

In a program, can there be branching with jumps and labels or do I need to use switch and nested if's for simple decisional branching?

Also, I am unable to get the emulator to work on this laptop (running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit). The setup program "instdrv.exe" could not be executed. It runs fine on my other PCs so this is just FYI, not a complaint.

I have also explored the symbols library a little now. Wow. I am so used to having an average or below average set of built in symbols, but this one is Nice! I am trying to use one of the tank symbols and change the color properties, and I am wondering if there are color constants I can just put in the "Image Options" "Color" field? What I have now is an internal tag with a fixed color of blue for both foreground and background.

EDIT: Also a suggestion the RedLion guys might like:

Thanks
Paul

Crimson3_suggest_000.jpg

Last edited:
1. The real C language has labels and goto, but our interpreted pcode version does not support this. We didn't omit them for any purist 'considered harmful' reason: They simply never made it into the code.

2. The emulator relies on a kernel mode driver to allow us to implement our multitasking system, and the drive hasn't been ported to 64 bit, and hasn't been signed. We thus can't run the emulator on anything other than 32 bit platforms. Yet.

3. You can't substitute colors on library images in a dynamic fashion, except by switching images. The use image colors property is used to allow you to render a color image in greyscale to show a disabled state.

4. Love the idea re the margins UI. I have noticed before the I have often have to adjust two values at once, but I hadn't thought of this approach to solving the problem.

I'm confused... When I have added text to a object, it is centered by default. I have used the the margin buttons, to offset the text, but I think I'm missing the point of having values in both of the contrasting margin fields.

-Brian

If you've got centered text that you don't want to have overlap features at the edge of a primitive (eg. an image), or if you have, say, left justified text that you want in a still-centered box.

If you've got centered text that you don't want to have overlap features at the edge of a primitive (eg. an image), or if you have, say, left justified text that you want in a still-centered box.

I understand the need to offset in one direction, but I think Paul was trying to do something else. Perhaps make the text box smaller, to word wrap the text to multi-line. I have always used the "|" key or shift+Enter for carriage return, and didn't see why one would use a left and a right offset.

-Brian

After I posted my question, I realized that my image had blank space on the sides and I figured out I could reset the image so that it is now the full width of the object and has the same outer boundaries as the text.

Before I did that, I adjusted the margins so that the text did not overhang the button, and forced it to word wrap where I wanted it to. After resetting the image, the extra margins weren't really necessary in this case, but there might be other images one might use that would make it helpful to adjust them in unison.

I did not try shift+enter to force a carriage return in the text. I tried ctrl+enter and it did not work. I will try using that new tip next time to force the word wrap.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
After I posted my question, I realized that my image had blank space on the sides and I figured out I could reset the image so that it is now the full width of the object and has the same outer boundaries as the text.

Before I did that, I adjusted the margins so that the text did not overhang the button, and forced it to word wrap where I wanted it to. After resetting the image, the extra margins weren't really necessary in this case, but there might be other images one might use that would make it helpful to adjust them in unison.

I did not try shift+enter to force a carriage return in the text. I tried ctrl+enter and it did not work. I will try using that new tip next time to force the word wrap.

Thanks,
Paul
It is usually Alt-Enter combo.
Good tip though, I had the same issue with text wrapping and gave up!

One take-away here is that the text rectangle calculation ought to take into account the effect of the Maintain Aspect function, which it looks like it isn't doing right now.

Crimson 3.0 Emulator

2. The emulator relies on a kernel mode driver to allow us to implement our multitasking system, and the drive hasn't been ported to 64 bit, and hasn't been signed. We thus can't run the emulator on anything other than 32 bit platforms. Yet.

I notice this thread is dated 2010.

Is there a 64bit fix for the Crimson 3.0 Emulator yet?

I have purchased a Eurotherm PenGUIn6 using GUIcon 2.0 (Gold Build 548.000) by RedLion. It seems to me that this is the same as Crimson 3.0

When trying to access the Emulator it says a driver needs to be installed.
It tries to start instdrv.exe

I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit with 8GB Ram on a HP ProBook 4540s.

The ability to run the Emulator would top off what has proved to be a great device for my customers application.

Thank you