GEFanuc RX3i Redundant Ethernet I/O

n_lev

Hey there!

I was wondering if there is anyone with RX3i knowledge.
I'm trying to build an architecture with several RX3i I/O nodes on the Ethernet network.
Question 1: How does one map the inputs into the CPU? Is it produced/consumed table under EGD?
Question 2: Ho does one configure redundant Ethernet? I can see from the brochures that it is possible to have 2 Ethernets coming out of the PLC and coming into the remote I/O. Can't work out how is that configured in Proficy... Can anyone give me a kick in a right direction?
Question 3: How far apart can redundant PLCs be? Can't find any limitations in PDFs...

Thanks a lot in advance, everyone!

There is quite a bit more to RX3i ENIU (Ethernet Interface) I/O than just mapping the I/O. GEIP has a series of templates on the support site to get you started. Head to http://support.ge-ip.com and search for ENIU Templates. There are two types with several selections each. If you are using regular Proficy Machine Edition, look for the PME templates. If you are using Proficy Process Systems, look for the PPS templates. You will have to create a GE SSO login if you do not already have one.

In each selection there is a Read Me file which outlines the different template sets and their function. Template selection is based on CPU type, number of ENIU's, LAN type (single or dual) and Controller Redundancy.

Say you are using a single RX3i CPU, 5 ENIU's and a single Ethernet LAN, you will start with project template RX3i_SCSL_10_v140.zip. This file will contain 2 ME projects, One for the CPU and One for the ENIU's.

Basically the templates set all your I/O mapping along with containing the Input_Processing C-block and logic used for status and control.

Remember this....always pick a template with MORE ENIU's than you will need. Adding them after the fact is a nightmare. Also, NEVER delete any logic section or variables out of these templates. Don't ask me how I know this....just think many sleepless nights!

The templates map I/O like this,

ENIU01 = %I and %Q 0001 to 0200, %AI and %AQ 0001 to 0128
ENIU01 = %I and %Q 0201 to 0400, %AI and %AQ 0129 to 0256

Etc. My numbers may be a little off as I don't have access to all my files right now.

Once you get the files and restore them into ME, send me a PM and I will look over them with you. Plus there are other factors to consider from the network side.

It seems daunting at first, but it's really quite easy to setup.

Forgot one thing.....I seriously recommend you upgrade to the latest version of Machine Edition if you have not already done so. The templates require at least version 5.8 PME or 1.5 PPS.

Hope this helps!

Mate, you're an absolute legend!!! Thanks a lot for such a detailed info.
I was reading through some manuals last couple of days and came across those templates myself. I have to say I'm not particularly fond of the idea. It sounds easy enough but I'd just hate to have some code in my system that I don't really understand (C-blocks pre-written by GE). Fair enough, I most likely will never need to open and debug them... but still, you might understand my feelings. Anyway, if project gets a go ahead, I'll be starting next month or so.
Again, thanks a lot for your help and a kick in a right direction!!!

The first one is always the hardest! I have never had any problems with the C blocks, they always work as they should as long as everything is setup correctly. Any issues I have experienced have been self inflicted.

One thig to keep in mind is your network. It needs to be a good, robust network with quality components. Do not hang these out on a plant network and expect things to work properly, it won't! Also all managed network components must be configured to pass multicast traffic.

Oh, I'm sure C-blocks will work as they've been well tested and used. I'm just not particularly fond of the idea, but I'll get used to it :)
I'll most likely have a dedicated dual fiber ring with good managed switches. There will be few more devices on those rings so I might even configure a VLAN just for I/O comms
Again, thanks for your help!

The VLAN is a good idea. We do that configuration quite often. Be mindful that many managed switches (Cisco) do not by default pass multicast traffic. I have had too many conversations with IT people over needing multicast functionality.

The VLAN is a good idea. We do that configuration quite often. Be mindful that many managed switches (Cisco) do not by default pass multicast traffic. I have had too many conversations with IT people over needing multicast functionality.
BTW, brochure states that PLCs can be 300 meters apart max. Have you ever tried to put them any further? I'm thinking to different buildings...

Our redundant units have always been in the same or ajacent cabinets at most 30 feet apart. What you desire MAY be possible using fiber but I doubt GEIP would support the scenario. If a customer required this, I would have to perform some hardcore testing before agreeing to the install.

May I ask, what would be the purpose in placing the units so far apart?