1756-L61 writting and reading from CF at runtime

snaoum

I would like to write data to and read from the CF card while running. Store status of a bit and values. Not sure I understand the info in the manual.

Look at your computer under:
C:\RSLogix 5000\Projects\Samples\ENU\v17\Rockwell Automation
or
C:\RSLogix 5000\Projects\Samples\ENU\v16\Rockwell Automation

In this folder find Logix-AP007B-EN-P.pdf - this is a manual
To sample files there too:
CF_Read_Write.ACD
CF_Read_Write_Example.ACD

V16 and V17 supports controllogix only
v18 supports compactlogix too

Be aware that CF has a limited write_cycle - i think circa 10000 times !

Later models use new areas of the memory dynamically to increase this, but if you're writing very frequently it won't last long.

I never knew those were there.

That is some pretty elaborate logic. We looked at using it at one point, but it's pretty complicated.

What would be sweet is a check box when creating tags that flagged it as one to be backed up to the flash card. Then set a certain bit (with SSV maybe) that would initiate the write. Or set another bit that would read.

What I want to do is create a tag in the CF card and store values in it and if a bit is set in the PLC I read that data from the CF card. If the bit is NOT set in the PLC then I write to the CF card to that CF card tag.

If the bit is NOT set in the PLC then I write to the CF card to that CF card tag.
You can't write continiously: as mentioned above CF card has limited write cycle capability.
If you can write let say every few minutes then you should be able to do it with application provided
You will not find exact application you need - you will have to write it yourself.
I agree sample code is very complicated, but you don't have to know any details, just start reading with chapter 4 - it guides you step-by-step how to do it.
If you have a problem with a specific step then ask here.

I have gone through chapter 4 several times. Can it be done with the MSG intruction by any chance? It says in chapter 4 to setup the write command, not sure I understand how to do that. Do I need to specify the CF card, how can I look at the CF card and create a tag in it, a path or something? Really unclear on this, sorry if I am not making sense.

You don't write a tag, you will write a file that will have your tags
Since you need to manage file system, this application the the only supported way

But how do I create the file in the CF card and specify to that location so I can write and read from it when needed? I dont see how to setup the write or read commands.

Add On Instructions

I have created an AOI that implements their entire sample program in an easy to use format! This is what I suggest.