MicroLogix 1400 and Red Lion LSQD 0100 Encoder

JiNCs

Hey guys!

Been awhile since I visited. Been out of it for a bit. Good to be logged in again.

I have a MicroLogix 1400 Series A PLC with a Red Lion LSQD 0100 encoder connected to high speed inputs 0/00 and 0/01 to measure yardage. The encoder has open collector outputs whch require pullup resistors for the 24vdc supply. My calculations show the frequency of the encoder pulses to be around 100hz equating to around 20 yards per minute.

It appears that at lower speeds (0-15ypm) the PLC counter in the PLC works OK but at the higher speeds (15-20ypm) the counter is in error.

Are the resistors likely to be the issue or is this a frequency problem associated with shielding and etc? Can anyone help with the calculation of the pullup resistors?

Thanks
JiNCs