GE Quickpanel and CompactLogix DF1

bosko1

I'm trying to communicate with a quickpanel IC745 and a compactlogix L35E via the CH0 port. I have been screwing around with it for a couple of days and on the phone with tech support to no avail. Anyone here done this and has advice?

Thanks!

Need more info, and do you mean a IC754? what is the rest of the number?
Exactly which protocol are you using and what version?
Exactly what errors are you getting and when?
Which tech support GE, AB or both?
Do you have the correct cable and are parameters equal on both ends?
Why not Ethernet?

figured it out

Thanks very much for your reply. I didn't put all of the details because it really doesn't matter since NONE of the quickpanels natively support ANY compactlogix processors via ethernet or RS232. This was according to GE support, and because you can't select compactlogix under processor type in the latest software (proficy machine edition 6). I didn't contact Rockwell support because it wasn't their issue. Here's what I had to do.

1. Use native drivers NOT OPC drivers like tech support says
2. Under native, choose DF1 and then select ControlLogix as the processor because CompactLogix is not even an option
3. In RSLogix 5000, set the system protocol do "DF1 point to point" not "DF1 Slave" like GE Support says.
4. Use Tag Names NOT PLC5/SLC emulation like GE Support suggests

Also, tech support told me I needed a straight-through cable which was only partially true. I had to make my own cable because a simple straight-through one doesn't cut it. Look up the pinouts for a HMI-CAB-C52 cable.

Hopefully this helps someone else down the line!

and I'm not using ethernet because the QuickPanel is supposed to be a back-up to the iHistorian server. There's no point in having it there on ethernet as a backup if the switch or ethernet port on the PLC fails.

Last edited:
Maybe you should have listened to tech support, CompactLogix is listed under devices in my OPC driver configuration, with PME 6.0 SIM10.

I agree that using the hardware type to designate the protocol is miss-leading. There is a lot of different hardware that uses the same protocol.

CLx.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the help

As I said before, tech-support told me that there IS NO SUPPORT for CompactLogix with DF1. what kind of "channel are you using there"

Again, as I said, I was able to get it to work via DF1 using the native drivers and selecting controllogix

Untitled-2.jpg

The "Channel" is Ethernet, it is selected first, then you add the "Device" that will use the channel.

Remember, not all tech support persons are "created equal".

I needed a DF1 driver

Ethernet will not work for me, but thanks. Like I said... I was able to make it work with the native DF1 driver and not the OPC driver like tech support suggested.

The OPC Sever running on the pannel does not support the Compactlogix PLC in the DF1 driver. The only option with is to connect a NetENI module to the CompactLogix and use the ControlLogix Ethernet deriver.

Is it just me?

you are right no way to make the OPC server work for DF1 for CompactLogix

Last edited: