Barcode scanner, Ethernet/IP Controllogix

SCUBA NooB

I have a barcode reader that has Ethernet/IP as an output and want to use this with Controllogix with a ENBT card. Having never used Ethernet/IP I am at a loss as to where to start. Does the scanner need including in the Controllogix I/O config, what instruction to use to obtain the barcode, etc? I have used the serial port on both SLC and Controllogix but never Ethernet/IP. What does seem worring is every where I look on this forum people seem to steer away from Ethernet and go serial converters.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

If your BCR supplier has gone to the trouble of making Ethernet/IP available I suspect that they will also have a standard method for getting the data into a Control Logix processor. This might be a custom module for Logix 5000 or a standard setup for the Generic Ethernet/IP module. Whichever is used the BCR effectively becomes just another IO module in your project.

Thanks Andybr. The BCR is an erwin sick CLV630 which all have Ethernet/IP available. Sorry for my lack of experience but would a MSG instruction then deal with Ethernet/IP barcodes coming in like a ARL does for the serial port.As I said originally I have never used Ethernet for messaging or BCR so I am a the very beginning and quite new to compactlogix as a whole. Thanks.

A message could be used but if you can get the information from Sick you should be able to add the BCR to the IO tree in Logix 5000 so there should be no need for any messaging code.

Bear with me on this please - but what would erwin sick need to provide? Would it be something like an EDS file? Having looked at the software there is a Generic Ethernet/ip adapter which I can use in the I/O but how is this addressed? I cant find any info anywhere that deals with anything other than CPU to CPU messaging or Allen Bradley I/O modules. A few oneliners from start to finish would be great if anyone has time.

Hello,
Just because a product talks ethernet, does not mean two decvices can understand each other. Would you assume your Hewlett Packard Printer understands your Siemens PLC? In the case of ethernet end devices, they have to have drivers internally to understand the protocol that exists on ethernet, in this case, the Rockwell protocol is Ethernet "industrial protocol" - not to be confused with TCP/IP with is internet protocol. I am trying to find out if the 'industrial protocol' is supported by Sick myself at this time, and will try to post any response, but when you add it to the ControlLogix, you will add it as a generic profile and have to fill in the tables correctly with data for input, output and configuration. I could not tell you what these should be without confirming or knowing a bit about SICK.

Thanks for the post Vermouth. Within the SICK software there is a tick box for Ethernet/IP and I also have a copy of a controllogix program that uses 20 or 30 CLV scanners on Ethernet/IP, at this time though I have still not managed to use the working program as it's pretty complex (even though I have used their "instance" settings) BUT I am sure that with the correct knowledge it does work. Sick do not seem though to be able provide an EDS file or the values for the input/output instances required for the generic Ethernet module. If I get anywhere I will post the results.

One thing I would like to add is that using Wireshark I can capture a chunk of Ethernet/IP info and within this is the last read barcode but I dont know whether Wireshark can be used to determine the necessary settings for the "instances"???

Without reading the Sick manual, I would guess you would interface to it with "Explicit Massaging".

For this, you would set up ControlLogix MSG instructions of type "CIP Generic". You would then specify Class, Instance, and Attribute values, and a source or destination tag in the CLX.

Have you seen anything like this in the Sick data ???

Or, it could be "Producing" tag data - for which you might need to set-up "Consumed" tags in the controller.....

any mention of this in the manual ???

Last edited:
Hello,
Just because a product talks ethernet, does not mean two decvices can understand each other.

Ethernet is a transport layer in the ISO model.

Specifically here we are discussing Etheret/IP, which is a Protocol that can be communicated via the EtherNet transport layer.

SCUBA NooB's Sick device quotes EtherNet/IP as a Protocol it understands, and therefor it should be fully compatible with ControlLogix, all that is needed is the correct Class, Instance, and Attribute information to communicate with it.

Thanks for the post Vermouth. Within the SICK software there is a tick box for Ethernet/IP and I also have a copy of a controllogix program that uses 20 or 30 CLV scanners on Ethernet/IP, at this time though I have still not managed to use the working program as it's pretty complex (even though I have used their "instance" settings) BUT I am sure that with the correct knowledge it does work. Sick do not seem though to be able provide an EDS file or the values for the input/output instances required for the generic Ethernet module. If I get anywhere I will post the results.

Post the program, or PM me, I'd like to see it

Sorted it. For another NOOB like me it IS as simple as people say. Add it as a "generic Ethernet module", set the instances (for me I copied another working program as Erwin Sick still wont issue this info OR a "memory map") This then creates the array in the controller tags as if it is a bog standard input/output card. View these tags and there is a barcode plus other info from the scanner (with no "map" there is no easy way of knowing where "good read" goes etc...). Thanks for everyones help.

This may be moot at this point but this link points to Ethernet/IP help Sick has for other of their bartcode models. Maybe it would help.

Just accept the terms and do the download. It has example ACD files and a word document.

Thanks Bernie. This is a pretty neat helpsheet though the data for barcode etc appears at different areas than my new CLV640 model. This though goes to show that a "map" should be available for all models. The example in your link shows where to write to the scanner to turn the laser on and off but this is one of many features a programmer may want to use. By experiment I have discovered where the barcode, good read bit, good read count appear in the "ethernet" array but a lot of manufacture's provide this as the "map" I keep referring to. Lets hope I can get some sense out of Erwin Sick this end.