Configuration OP17 to S7-300 CPU315-2DP

aabcam75

Hi all,

I need to interface OP17 to S7-300 CPU315-2DP using profibus connection. Anyone can help me how to configure the OP17 in the hardware configuration of Step7, and the wiring of the op 17 and s7-300.

Ali

You can use DP:

In S7 hardware configuration:
Check that the channel X2 (the DP port) has been set up to "networked".

In Protool:
Check that the network parameters has been set up to "DP".

Check that the various network settings match for both the S7 and the OP (I think that you can keep the default settings)..

I havent tried this combination myself, but I am sure, a Siemens OP can talk to a Siemens S7 over DP (when both have a DP port).

good luck :)

NB: I would only use DP in stead of MPI, if the distance between OP and S7 is greater than 50 m.

Hello!
You don't configure the P-panel in the hardware settings !!
You only have to goto Protool and chose the connection fron connetions(Ok you have to make the PLC as Dp-master)
Choose the controller from the list in protool.. and it works.
it makes no different if you are using DP or MPI.

nif wrote: it makes no different if you are using DP or MPI.

Most important difference:
The S7-300 MPI port can only work up to 50m.
(sidenote: The S7-400 MPI port can work up to 1000m).

The S7-300 DP port can work up to 1000m.

Profibus address

The one thing to remember is the profibus address's. The default address for the 315 is 2, I am not sure what the op will default to. But you should be able to set this up in netpro.

paul

Just use the default nodes:
PC/PG=0
OP=1
PLC=2

But you have to match the Baudrates.
I just noticed that Step7 and Protool suggest different default baudrates.

Jesper have you ckecked the baudrate if you try to use 1000m? (remember about 19.2 kb)
I'm almost certain that it wan't work 1000 meters if you don't use repeaters!

Same electrical protocool RS485.
MPI is a siemens own protocool (not open) for use with small numbers of stations(32). Not in use with I/O:s only communication between stations.

nif,
I wasn't clear enough:
The S7-300 MPI can work up to max 50 meter without repaters.
The S7-300 MPI can work up to max 1000 meter with repaters.
The max segment length for MPI (S7-300) with repeaters, or for MPI (S7-400), or for DP depends on the baudrate.
examples:
1.5 Mbps .. max 200 meter per segment.
187.5 kbps .. max 800 meter per segment.
93.75 kbps .. max 1000 meter per segment.
It is possible to split an MPI or DP network in segments by means of repeaters. Max 10 segments in all.

nick,
awoiding a long explanation :) :
Profibus DP is an open standard.
MPI is a subset of Profibus, and is Siemens own proprietary standard.
They are electrically exactly the same (only difference is that MPI on S7-300 doesnt have galvanic isolation and is thus limited to 50 m.)

As all siemens S7s and OPs come with a MPI port, it is the easiest protocol to use for general programming, HMI networking etc.

NickMiller said:

What are the advantages of using MPI over DP.

Is MPI more reliable?

For the traffic in Profibus-DP. In theory, there are numbers of nodes in Profibus-DB, but the traffic could make part of them un-usable.
Repeaters are cood use for Profibus-DB too...
MPI is as control-bus and Profibus as Field-bus..