Setup Vmware for Ethernet IP

The Plc Kid

I have a win 7 pc with a win xp virtual machine that has all rockwell softwrae loaded on it that we use for programming.

It has never been setup to work with the ethernet /contrologix processors.

The pc physical lan port has an address of 192.168.1.101 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

I show 2 vmware net adapters called vmnet1 and vmnet 8

Vmnet 1 is set to 192.168.106.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Vmnet 8 is set to 192.168.236.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

The mode in vm ware is set to NAT and this is vmware version 7

How can is set this up where logix 5k running in the virtual machine can talk to plc networks such as 10.10.155.200?

You should be able to set your Win7 IP address to the PLC network and hop online. But this is WinDoze.... I personally use Sun VirtualBox with my Win7 machine and it works without a hitch, since the virtual adapters are on the same network as the actual adapter by default.

Good luck.

Do you guy's seperate controller programing software and hmi software in different snapshots or vm's?

Such as logix 5,500,500 in one machine and panelbuilder,ftview in another?

My ex boss had a snapshot for 5 another for 500 another for 5k and so on. Is this the best way to handle it or was he just off his rocker?

So no real need or advantage to seperate ab titles then correct?

I have a few old logix processors that i have to use revs lower than 10 so i will make a snap shot for those and we have FTview 5.0 and 5.1 apps so i will seperate those.

Thanks

I forgot to mention that we did keep the older Logix5k revs on a separate snapshot. But keeping titles separate otherwise causes too many RSLinx configurations.

If I remember correctly, VMWare NAT mode has the windows host acting like a router, a very bad one at that. You're best bet is to set it to bridged mode and assign it an IP address of 10.x.x.x with a netmask set accordingly. Bridged acts like a virtual network card in your PC, seperate from your physical one, but yet sending data over the same lines.

Depending on where your 2 networks join together (whether it be on your PC with 2 NICs, or at an addressable router somewhere) you may need to add a gateway address.

If your computer is directly wired to the PLC network via a NIC card, just make sure the VMWare stuff bridges to that NIC and not the office LAN.

I do different snapshots based on the software vendor. One for AB, one for AD, one for Omron, one for GE, Siemens, etc.

This is the main reason I use VMware. Different PLC vendor software does not play well with each other. The other reason is for older software that needs to run on Win98. I have some old Pac Sci software that will only run on Win98