RS logix 5000 v17 cannot open v15

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
Firstly, I have never used used logix 5000, but have a good amount of experience using 5 and 500

A customer called me with a problem going online with logix 5000 v17. They dont have a copy of the sourcecode, but have a print out of the ladder program. The current code in the PLC was written with ver 15. They have version 17 but cannot get online.
They believe the version 17 is the reason for not being able to go online.

Im not sure what version of linx they are using, or model of plc.

I would think that any version upgrades would be backwards compatible. Could this be the problem, or should I be looking at something else.,

They've guessed it right. In the Logix5000 series the firmware in the controller and the software must be from the same major version. For that reason Rockwell provides a firmware update with every update of the software.

Kind regards,

You have to match the versions. Your customer will have to install V15, or the CPU firmware updated, code converted to V17, and downloaded...

I think that typically when you buy the software, the previous versions will be on the disk as well, you just have to specify that they be installed. If you do not specify, it will only install the latest.

At least the last disk that I saw said "V10-17" on it.

They will have V15 on the install CD. It prompts you during install if you want to install them, but I have never gone back and tried to install a particular version after the fact. Worst case they will have to do a re-install.

Stu.....

I actually prefer to install in sequence; when I encounter a machine that has v16 and v17 but I need to install v15 or v13, I go ahead and uninstall everything, then reinstall everything in order (just like a fresh install from DVD).

This avoids inadvertently copying over a common file with an older version.

do you care about the Online Books feature? ...

don't worry about this – because you have bigger problems to deal with – but I've noticed that when I install Version 16 it trashes the links to the thousands of pages of handy Help/Online Books for my older versions ...

basic idea: the "new and improved" PDF files use a stupid hard-to-read picture type layout for the index/menu instead of a nice simple easy-to-read list ... plus ... the "new and improved" PDF files don't have the same names as the old ones – so trying to find the Online Books from Version 15 (or lower) will usually come up something like this after you've loaded Version 16 ...

attachment.php

and if you follow the suggestion and "load the Online Books" for Version 15 from the CD, then that will wipe out the books for Version 16 ... (so, are we having fun yet?) ...

if this silliness is a problem in your situation (it CERTAINLY IS in mine) then post again and I'll give you a workaround that I've come up with ...

Last edited:
Ron
I would like the work around. It is to handy having a lot of that info. With you when you make a service call out in the sticks with no network.

Thanks for your time.

remembering DOS - and the handy-dandy batch files ...

Greetings Jeff ...

the root of the problem is that the RSLogix5000 software only uses ONE "docs" folder ... so when you load V15 (or lower?) the V15 documentation goes into that one folder – and all is well ...

but ...

when you later load V16 (or higher?) the V16 documentation goes into that SAME "docs" folder ... so now the V16 documentation works OK – but the previous V15 documentation gets trashed ...

attachment.php

my workaround is to:

(1) first load the V15 software – and then rename the resulting "docs" folder to "docs_v15" ... that keeps the original documentation safe from the upcoming V16 load operation ...

(2) then load the V16 software ... that means that the new V16 documentation is now located in a (newly minted) folder named "docs" ...

(3) next I set up two simple BAT files (DOS batch files – you're probably too young to remember those) ...

attachment.php

(4) then when I'm getting ready to teach a class using Version V15, I just double-click the handy V15_Docs.bat file ... it automatically changes the names of the folders around so that V15 RSLogix5000 can find what it needs in the folder named "docs" ... the name of the folder I'm NOT going to be using is changed to "docs_v16" for safekeeping ... (that's the example situation that you see in the very first screen shot shown at the top of this post) ...

(5) and when I'm getting ready to teach a class using Version V16, I just double-click the handy V16_Docs.bat file ... that one automatically swaps the names of the folders around so that now V16 RSLogix5000 can find what it needs in the folder named "docs" ... naturally the name of the folder I'm NOT going to be using is changed to "docs_v15" for safekeeping ...

attachment.php

so the basic idea is to have BOTH version of the documentation loaded (each version in its own separate folder) - and then to easily shift the names of the folders around so that the one you need is called "docs" ... when you're initially installing the software, just don't forget to "backup" the older version of documentation before you load a newer version of the software and overwrite it ...

you can imagine how important this becomes to me when I'm trying to teach students how to access the "Online Help" feature – and the darned thing keeps saying that the documentation can't be found ... (been there – done that) ...

Last edited:
sorry to bring up this old thread again - but someone asked for the attachments that demonstrated the work-around I mentioned in an earlier post ... I'm not sure what happened to the pictures - they WERE there when I first made the post - then they disappeared ...

anyway ... copies are attached below (I think) ...

no_books.JPG doc_batch_1.JPG doc_batch_2.JPG doc_batch_3.JPG