SLC 5/04 & Net-ENI

junior

Is it possible to get communication between a SLC 5/04 & Insight 5000 camera over ethernet using the 1761-NET-ENI module? If, so are there any documents describing the configuration and setup?

TIA
Jr.

I saw the manual, and I can get it to work with a 5/04 and a panelview all connected through ethernet using the net-eni, but I'm not sure how to send and receive messages between the insight camera and the PLC.

Do you have a manual for the camera? Does the camera support Ethernet/IP? You might contact the camera manufacturer's tech support to see if they have integrated with Allen Bradley PLC's in the past.

I have added ethernet camera's to FactoryTalk View SE applications before, but have not interfaced cameras directly to a PLC.

The manufacturer does have examples of interfacing the camera with PLC's, the problem is that the PLC's in their examples already have a ethernet port, but the 5/04 doesn't. Which is what I'm wondering about, if you use a net-eni adapter on the serial port of the 5/04, can you still communicate with the camera and if so, how is the setup done in the 5/04 and the net-eni.

Junior, I have communicated with various Cognex products over the years with 5/05's only. (1000,3000, etc)

The problem is with the 5/04's, is that the MSG format that the Cognex is expecting is not supported for ETHERNET within the processor as a native communication method. (There is only Serial/DH-485 and DH+)

You would have to be communicating via Serial tunneling....which I do not believe is possible in this case.

My first guess to your question would be NO, it is not possible.

Due to the fact that the Cognex relies on receiving MSG packets from the Ethernet port, (and not CIP type ethernet, TCIP only)

The only thing left to do if you have the components is try.

Let us know how you made out though.....

you could possibly use protocol conversion with the digi one iap to handle the task. give digi a call and see what they think.

http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/digioneiap.jsp#overview

the digi also has pass thru mode on the spare comm port so if you would happen to have a serial device like a touchscreen conected to the serial port the digi would allow the touchscreen to operate and it would also collect and pass the data via ethernet to the camera.

Last edited:
Junior, I have communicated with various Cognex products over the years with 5/05's only. (1000,3000, etc)

The problem is with the 5/04's, is that the MSG format that the Cognex is expecting is not supported for ETHERNET within the processor as a native communication method. (There is only Serial/DH-485 and DH+)

You would have to be communicating via Serial tunneling....which I do not believe is possible in this case.

My first guess to your question would be NO, it is not possible.

Due to the fact that the Cognex relies on receiving MSG packets from the Ethernet port, (and not CIP type ethernet, TCIP only)

The only thing left to do if you have the components is try.

Let us know how you made out though.....

I thought that the cognex camera puts the message in it's memory and the PLC uses the message instruction to go get it, but you're right, the 5/04 only has the serial comm so I don't know if you can use the same method, and I think you're right that it can't be done. Unfortunately the parts are too expensive to purchase to test it out, so I'm going to use the i/o expansion module.

Try to get Cognex involved.
They are usually more than happy to provide details of past successful projects using particular processors..

Rick at RTA has a viable solution, it might be worthwhile to check out pricing/evaluation.