Moxa rs-232 to ethernet

ruby.n

How do I connect 5 PLC's (RS232, DB-15 connections) to 1 PC (1 EtherNet port, 1-RS232 DB-9 port)??

I know we need to use a MOXA, but how does a PC with 1 serial port talk to so many PLC's??

Do we need any other software?

I think Moxa should have all the software you need. You will probably connect from your PLC to the Moxa via ethernet, the software creates virtual RS232 ports on your computer, one for each port on the Moxa. You just need to be certain that the software you want to use on your computer is OK with virtual serial ports. Depending on which Moxa device you are using you may have to install, configure and run a small software application on to the device.

Moxa support have always been helpful for me so if you get stuck just drop them an email.

Bryan

Thanks!

Yup I have configured the Moxa and the Admin Suite software. I am using Pilot to bring all old PLC's on the network. I have configured that as well.

The only thing is when I tried using a DB15 pin (from PLC programming port) to a DB9 pin on the Moxa (ie talking RS232 direct) it wouldn't detect my PLC. So I'm trying to connect on current loop!

Hope this works.

RS232 can be a bit of a b*****d to set up. If the DB15 to DB9 works when connected direct to the serial port on your PC then you need to look at the wiring, not all DB9s are wired the same. Then you need to look at baud rates, stop bits and Parity bits settings. If you get any of those wrong you will get a bad connection. You should be able to do some diagnostics using your PC, a laptop and Hyperterminal to check end to end communication before you add in the complication of the PLC.

Bryan